• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird watching dalyan Turkey (1 Viewer)

For anyone going this summer White-throated Kingfisher can be seen and heard well from the last "platform" on the river just before the small footbridge over the ditch at the north end of the Dalyan river walk. Better still, walk further north about 50m along the pomegranate field and view across the river from the rickety landing stage there.
Birders familiar with the area will realise that this location could be prone to disturbance - the birds show best early morning (pre 9:30) and late afternoon (post 16:30) when the river traffic has died down.
Please exercise some restraint and caution at this site.

Tom Curwen
Charles Rose

here’s a record of visit to Dalyan 3-11 May 2015.

Monday 4th -Area around appartment, sewage works and riverside

Jay, Great Tit, Collared Dove, Swift, House Martin, Yellow legged Gull, Blackbird, Greenfinch, Hooded Crow, Olivaceous Warbler, Red Rumped Swallow, Peregrine, White Stork, Night Heron (5),Purple Heron, Roller, Goldfinch, Swallow, Pied Wagtail, Cuckoo (heard), Cettis Warbler, Kestrel, Fan Tailed Warbler, Little Owl. Eleanoras Falcon.

Tuesday 5th Beach and back by boat, Riverside walk back to apartment
Purple Heron (4), Black Tern (300+), Common Sandpiper (2), Crested Lark (5), White Tailed Sea Eagle, Short Toed Eagle, Reed Warbler, Black Headed Bunting, Little Egret,
Woodchat Shrike, Masked Shrike, Golden Eagle, Cettis Warbler. Scops Owl (calling from tree in town square in evening)

Wednesday 6th Walk to Kaunos
Collared Flycatcher, Red Footed Falcon (seen from apartment)
Golden Eagle, Lesser Kestrel, Rock Nuthatch, Little Egret (10), Roller, Coot, Fan Tailed Warbler, White Stork,

Thursday 7th Walk to Eskikoy rock outcrop
Red Backed Shrike, Masked Shrike, Woodchat Shrike, Glossy Ibis (40+), Cattle Egret, Squacco Heron, Little Egret, Black Tern, Green Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper , Black Tailed Godwit, Short Toed Eagle, Long Legged Buzzard, Kestrel, Lesser Kestrel, Penduline Tit, Black Headed Bunting, Rufous Bush Chat, Olivaceous Warbler, Blackcap, Great Tit, Collared Dove, Crested Lark, Goldfinch, Sedge Warbler, Fan Tailed Warbler,

Friday 8th Dolmus to beach
Raven, Chaffinch, Oystercatcher (2), Turtle Dove, Coal Tit, Krupers Nuthatch, Jay, Blue Tit.
Saturday 9th Okcular
Ortalan Bunting, Great Tit, Peregrine, Woodchat Shrike, Roller, Semi-collared Flycatcher, White Stork
Sunday 10th Walk on western outskirts of Dalyan return by riverside.
White winged Black Tern, Glossy Ibis, Sedge Warbler, Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Black Tern, Golden Eagle, Kestrel, Cormorant.

Monday 11th Appartment.
Alpine Swift (2), House Martin,

Hi all, I'm heading to Dalyan for a week next month, I won't be hiring a car so would appreciate some info regarding local sites,walks etc.My hotel is situated along the river, been to Turkey last year but first time in Dalyan, thanks in advance.

John.

walks or birding sites dalyan

Hello John,

if you go on the website www.dalyanbirding.com , then navigate to the 'sites' tab, there is a drop down menu with suggested walks, bike rides etc. it may be worth you while hiring a bike whilst there which can be done easily as the whole area is mainly flat and good for cycling. hope this is of use Brendan

Has anyone any suggestions for good areas to visit in October? We are in Dalyan until next Wednesday and have done ok so far with Kruypers and Rock Nuthatch, a good range of raptors and a few warblers presumably passing through: Orphean, Sardinian, Willow, Chiffchaff and Blackcap. Are there likely to be any Black-headed, Ortolan and Cretzchmers Buntings around?

I think you will be too late for Black-headed certainly.

Try contacting Brendan via Twitter (@Dalyanbirding) - he's out there at the moment and had White-throated Kingfisher at a couple of sites nearby also White Pelican.

Also @MalkohaBrian is out there or has recently returned so both may have up to date gen.

Good day at Calis Beach Marsh yesterday. 2 Little Bitterns, Cettis, Black Tern juv, Sandwich Tern ad and juv, Common Tern ad, BHG, Med Gull, 1st winter Slender-billed Gull and an Osprey fishing. Lots of Crag Martins over our hotel in Dalyan in the morning, probably forced sown by low cloud over the crags and thousands of Alpine Swift this morning

Good day at Calis Beach Marsh yesterday. 2 Little Bitterns, Cettis, Black Tern juv, Sandwich Tern ad and juv, Common Tern ad, BHG, Med Gull, 1st winter Slender-billed Gull and an Osprey fishing. Lots of Crag Martins over our hotel in Dalyan in the morning, probably forced sown by low cloud over the crags and thousands of Alpine Swift this morning

Hi Foxy,

I've been holiday/birdwatching at Dalyan for a while, and not sure I've heard of Calis Beach Marsh - could you let me know where it is...

Thanks... Ray

Hi Ray,

Yes, it is at the East side of Fethiye Bay at the North end of the beach, do you normally have a car? If so as you drive through Fethiye heading West wirh the sea on your left Calis Beach is signposted and you should see the small reedy area to your left. You will turn left on the road and see a small sign to the reserve on the other side of the road. You will have to drive past to the next roundabout and park on the road close to the sign. It is a small lagoon surrounded by reeds wirh a few gaps to view through. The bay is also a good place to set up your scope as that's where many of the things I saw were.

Thanks. I don't usually head out that way, but I do always have a car, so wouldn't be a problem to get there... I may well give it a go next time I'm out, which unfortunately, isn't until next June!!

That might be better as there aren't many summer visitors around now, though we've had a few 'lingerers' to keep us on our toes, or passing migrants: we've also had some lousy weather to bring them down! Obvious falls of Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler, and a few Orphean, Lesser Whitethroat, Blackcap and today a juvenile Ruppell's stood out from the rest. I will do a trip report and photos for rhe Dalyan birding site and probably a few mystery birds on here too.

Last edited:
I have posted a mystery bird in the main Bird ID thread but realised I would possibly get a better response here so at the risk of repeating myself
I saw this bird on Iztuzu Beach, 15.10.15 when photographing Stonechats and this popped up. I took a quick picture but when I tried to look at it through binoculars it had gone so I'm afraid I can't add any more detail other than that it was a bit larger than the Stonechat.
It looks like a Pipit but it didn't seem big enough or the right proportions - that tail is short - for anything that I'm familiar with.
Any help really appreciated.

I will post a few details of the trip and more pictures shortly as there don't seem to have been many reports of October visits

Attachments

• Mystery Bird, Iztuzu Beach, Dalyan 16.10.15.jpg
    Mystery Bird, Iztuzu Beach, Dalyan 16.10.15.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 196

Users who are viewing this thread

Back