• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird Guide revised (1 Viewer)

This caused me to look at the worst review on Amazon which I thought amusing:

"This book, whilst giving good illustrations, is rather sparse on information in a lot of cases. The maps are the biggest problem. They are so small, to the point of needing an optical device to view them. Take for example The island of Crete. I go here frequently and often want to identify birds there. The colour co-ordinated maps, however, show Crete as a little mark in the Med with no room for any visible colour information. Unusable. As I say, good illustrations but as for the rest I feel it's below par. Look elswhere."

I understand that full revision would be a major project, but would welcome two changes: updated map of Great Egret, which quickly became a common species in C Europe, and new illustration of Double-spurred Francolin, which is very different from Moroccan birds (maybe based on a different ssp?).

i assume that the collins bird guide app for iphone is up to date ?

No it isn't and I wonder if there are plans to do so anytime soon? The 2nd edition of the big Sibley North American guide has been out for almost a year-and-a-half now but the app remains unchanged.

This new print is not a revised edition. It is just a new print. Bonnier Fakta, the swedish publisher, was kind enough to allow us including the new work (e.g. splitted subalpine warblers) recently published in the app. To make this possible without adding any new page we had to re-arrange the sylvia-pages and reduce the warbler intro.
The list of changes/improvements supplied by Collins consists of every little ’comma’ that’s been changed. That list is merely meant as a guideline for foreign translators, nothing else. Some example from that list; a figure that has been slightly moved to make better room for a caption or has been enlarged x % is called “new figure”, so it’s quite misleading for the presumtive buyer I would say.

Last edited:
Please bring out an Android version of the app, even if it is just the initial version. Most birders do not have Iphones or Ipads, but their Android counterparts.

I bought mine from BF shop recently and it was the non amended version. As a beginner I don't mind much but I would like an app for Android im the short future.

I bought mine from BF shop recently and it was the non amended version. As a beginner I don't mind much but I would like an app for Android im the short future.

According to a recent discussion on the Swedish Facebook site 'Vår Skådarvärld' NO Android version is under production, nor is it planned. The current IOS app is produced by Touchpress (www.touchpress.com) and it's quite evident from correspondence with them by members of 'Vår Skådarvärld' that neither Touchpress or the publishing house of Bonniers produce apps for Android.

// Jonas

Pity. My iPhone is 4s and I'm never going to buy any Apple again (in fact I never did, it was a gift). On the other hand there are some other nice Android apps already but Merlin is for North America only.

Major upgrade to the Collins app this morning. Now if only the people responsible for the Sibley app--which has become way out-of-date--would follow suit!

Last edited:
A long time ago, there was a message from DS that the company publishing the 2nd ed of his guide wanted to do their own app. I have not heard anything since.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back