• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji S5600?additional lenses ,how much? (1 Viewer)

malgringo

after your advice on here have decided to go for th 5600 fuji and would like to know how much?and where can get a half decent tele convertor lens for it please?not to pricey if poss

The most oft recommended tele converter for big zoom digicams is the Olympus TCON-17 which would fit directly to your camera without requiring any additional adaptor. It ain't exactly cheap at just under under £70 (eg. from Novatech) but you'll see from this web page :
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/
how even quite good quality and expensive converters are starting to compromise the output from a Panasonic FZ30. Cheaper converters might well produce results worse than that achieved by simply enlarging a crop of a photo with no converter at all.
On the upside if a) you were ever to upgrade you digicam to another big zoom model, chances are the TCON-17 would work well with that too or if b) it became surplus to requirements, you'd probably have no trouble recouping some of your investment from a willing buyer.

I am wondering about the idea of attaching such a large, heavy converter as the TCON-17 to the filter threads of a lens. One reason I dismissed the Fuji 9000 (9500) was because it looked as though you would have to do such a thing and I was afraid that it might damage the camera. This is as opposed to the more common setup (e.g. Olympus super-zooms, Canon super-zooms, Panasonic, etc) where you attach an adapter to the BODY of the camera . The adapter surrounds the lens and holds the filter or converter out in front of the lens. The lens thus remains free.

On a slightly different subject, I have used a TCON-17 on a compact point-and-shot Fuji E900 (yes, kind of an odd thing to do, but I needed it), using an adapter. The results were very good. I guess that shows that the TCON-17 seems pretty compatible with just about anything.

I have been using the Tcon 17 with my Fuji 5600 for a few months now and it works great.
Check out some of my photos in the Gallery or on my website.

Couple of very important things to remember though :

1.Don't expect miracles when using the camera with tele in low light

2.Always support the heavy lens with your hand whenever you pick up the Camera and when you are using it.

3.Don't drop it ! :) it cost me half the price of the lens to get it repaired when I dropped mine while rushing to screw it on for a photo of a Butterfly !

Last edited:
thank you

some great info there guys thank you so much looks like i must get the tcon 17 and after seeing those great pics nicovitch its def made up my mind ,they were lovely pics and great site well done :clap:

malgringo said:
some great info there guys thank you so much looks like i must get the tcon 17 and after seeing those great pics nicovitch its def made up my mind ,they were lovely pics and great site well done :clap:

thankyou :) good luck with the lens , and I hope to see your photos soon !

Nick

Id recommend the Tcon 17 as a great lens. Ive been using mine for about a year (till I bust it today) with my S5500 and I'm happy with the results Ive been getting. see my Gallery most of my pics have been taken using the TCON 17.
I'm glad to see it has come down in price I paid £100 last year..
Good luck

Whatever you do, don't get a 2x teleconverter for around £20-£30.

I bought one off Ebay and it's rubbish. Terrible vignetting, purple fringing and light loss.

Everyone seems to recommend the tcon-17 (on other sites too, not just here.), so you should probably get one of them.

I would also highly recomend the Olympus TCON-17 lens for the Fuji. I have been using one with my Fuji S5500 for the past month or so and have had some great results. Much much much better than the Fuji 1.5 teleconverter lens. Much heavier though but well worth it. My Fuji 1.5x never comes out of its box nowadays!
Claire

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back