• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where to go first week in october ?hol,please help (1 Viewer)

malgringo

was going to turkey in first week of oct but due to recent bombings gf wont go so had to cancel and lost half my money doing so,so i am after somewhere to go where can do a bit of birding as say will b with gf so wont b to much nice if resort had places to go in walking distance so has anyone any ideas please?not to expensive as with losing half me dosh on turkey hol its going to b tight?

Why not try Majorca.....Puerto Pollensa gives you the Bocquer valley within easy walking or Alcudia has the S'Albufeira within walking distance

Keith Dickinson said:
Why not try Majorca.....Puerto Pollensa gives you the Bocquer valley within easy walking or Alcudia has the S'Albufeira within walking distance
did think of majorca?what sort of birds do you think will see in oct?please

Turkey is 4+ hours flight time from the UK. If you can cope with a 6 hr flight then consider The Gambia -some excellent hotels with fantastic birding in & around the area. Local restaurants in the tourist area are excellent, the country is verdant at this time of year with Bishops, Wydahs, etc in breeding plumage. The only downside is that you will need to take antimalarials -this is no big drawback.
Before you reject the idea out of hand chekout: www.gambia.co.uk/ & for the birds: www.gambianbirds.com/

Loads of places that are easy to reach and shouldn't be too expensive if you shop around. Mallorca, Algarve, Andalucia, Catalonia etc.

Why not have a look at the trip report thread or check out reports at www.travellingbirder.com for more ideas.

(p.s. I'm still off to Turkey - youre more in danger when driving to your UK airport!)

malgringo said:
was going to turkey in first week of oct but due to recent bombings gf wont go so had to cancel and lost half my money doing so,so i am after somewhere to go where can do a bit of birding as say will b with gf so wont b to much nice if resort had places to go in walking distance so has anyone any ideas please?not to expensive as with losing half me dosh on turkey hol its going to b tight?

Why not try the Algarve at Vilamoura, good beaches for the girl-friend and a nature reserve within walking distance.

Accommodation can be had at £65.62/person/week for a 1bed SC apartment in october in a small hotel complex. I've stayed there a couple of times and although it's fairly basic is clean and comfortable.

Car hire for a Clio type car at £106/week all inclusive.

Both can be booked reliably on the internet and I have no interests with either company, I've lost a holiday the same way in the past so know how it feels.

PM me if you want more details.

regards

John

I'd have stuck with Turkey - great birds,great people, and you've probably as much chance of a terrorist attack in Spain (or the UK for that matter).

As its too late I'd say Puerto Pollenca would be a good choice - there are plenty of birding trip reports on the web that will give you a flavour of what you might expect.

Here's just one:

http://www.realbirder.com/Mallorca2005.htm

We always go to Mallorca and go at the end of Sept/begin of Oct and stay in Cala Bona. We have always been rewarded by good birding and weather. Cala Bona & Cala Millor have over a mile of beach and plenty of Hotels etc. They are not noisy resorts or nightclub resorts.

As you can see the birding list just from walking or getting the mini train is good.

Here is a link to Ians bird report for 2005 and you can also clikck into a previous one from it.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=43277&highlight=cala+bona

john-henry said:
Why not try the Algarve at Vilamoura, good beaches for the girl-friend and a nature reserve within walking distance.

Accommodation can be had at £65.62/person/week for a 1bed SC apartment in october in a small hotel complex. I've stayed there a couple of times and although it's fairly basic is clean and comfortable.

Car hire for a Clio type car at £106/week all inclusive.

Both can be booked reliably on the internet and I have no interests with either company, I've lost a holiday the same way in the past so know how it feels.

PM me if you want more details.

regards

John

I'll second Vilamoura....Falesia beach was good, and the golf courses held purple gallinule, little bittern, waxbills and woodchat shrike.

malgringo said:

Why not try Catalonia: around the Aiguamolls or the Ebro Delta. Wetlands, migration and interesting resident species. Excellent infrastructure too.

Further from (my) home, I personally would love to have a go at the northern Black Sea coast in Bulgaria: Cape Kaliakra and Durankulak must surely be a migration watcher's paradise at that time of the year.

Steve West

What about the Scilly Isles. It's fantastic I've bin going for 24 years and I don't intend to give up! You are surrounded by dedicated birders and good people. I can give you all the contacts you need." Go on treat yourself "

Skegness! The winds will be changing to easterly late this week or next week, bringing in loads of good stuff to the east coast. 3:)

Rob Smallwood said:
I'd have stuck with Turkey - great birds,great people, and you've probably as much chance of a terrorist attack in Spain (or the UK for that matter).

As its too late I'd say Puerto Pollenca would be a good choice - there are plenty of birding trip reports on the web that will give you a flavour of what you might expect.

Here's just one:

http://www.realbirder.com/Mallorca2005.htm

I would have stuck with Turkey as well, and we did - we're off to Dalyan this Friday.

B :)

At the end of the day we can't let these terrorists get the better of us and there's as much chance of coming under attack in any major city in Europe these days (not to mention airports) and we'll all end up cooped up indoors if we let them.

As for suggestions - how about a cheap flight to Malaga and head over towards Tarifa / Costa De La Luz? You could bird around Los Lances, Montes de Tarifa, Ojen Valley & La Janda and there should still be a few migrants around I'd have thought the weather's still decent at the minute.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back