• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where to go birding in nov in england? (1 Viewer)

malgringo

where is the best place to go birding in england please in november,as having weekend away from gf lol so want to make most of it,any ideas please?

malgringo said:
where is the best place to go birding in england please in november,as having weekend away from gf lol so want to make most of it,any ideas please?

For me I don't think you can go wrong with Norfolk. Plenty of reserves and surrounding birding habitat plus the wintering geese are here as well.

Along the Norfolk coastline you have Snettisham, Hunstanton Cliffs for the Fulmar (plus what can be out to sea) Holme, Thornham, Titchwell, Choseley Barns, Brancaster, Holkham, Wells, Stiffkey, Blakeney, Cley & Salthouse. Further south you have to Crane roost at Stubbs Mill and a bit further south Berney Marshes.

There are many more places I could mention but you have no chance of doing all I have mentioned so far in a weekend.

John

I have to echo John's comments: Norfolk is a three hour drive along the A14 or A47 from you: as he said, it's well worth it just for the Crane / Raptor roost at Horsey. Then the North Coast is a virtual cert for Laplands, Snow Buntings, Twite and Shorelarks. And, of course, you can have Holkham Beach to yourself in November: truly wonderful! Best of all? The N. Norfolk geese flocks! Brents, Pinkfeet, Whitefronts and always the chance of something rare too!
So: Norfolk's the place!
Have a GREAT time!

Late November? Holkham Beach, Wells, Burnham Norton, Cley, Salthouse, Titch: they can (and do!) turn up anywhere!
I've seen them as early as September, too!

Well you ALWAYS need a bit of luck birding! And yes: they aren't as easy to find as they once were. (They used to be easy at Halvergate Marshes) But: if you've got a good ear, you can often hear fly-overs at Cley / Salthouse
So: good luck!

Hi Timmy

You will never guarantee laplands anywhere but those sites mentioned by TB are as good as any. One more I would add to that list is Choseley Barns, near Titchwell.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back