Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New York in November

Old Sunday 18th October 2015, 19:28   #1
rachk116

New York in November

Hello,

My husband and I are spending 4 days in late November in New York and hope to do a little bit of birdwatching around Manhattan, probably mostly Central Park. I have found Birding Bob's website and plan to do one of his walks, but I'm hoping for a little more advice about where to go and what we may see. I'm a little nervous about identifying birds I have no idea about, but I have the Sibley guide so hopefully that will help me.

Thank you in advance

Rach

Last edited by rachk116 : Monday 19th October 2015 at 08:08.
Old Sunday 18th October 2015, 20:06   #2
rdcny

you will have a good time on his bird walks...particularly because his significant other (Deborah Allen) is exceptional. Send them an email ([email protected]) and get on their weekly email list so you can see what birds they are seeing...they will also send you a bunch of articles they have written (their research) on NYC birds including work on the Empire State Building at night (migrating birds); nesting kestrels in NYC; the flora of Central Park - and more.

Regards,

The Bob
Old Monday 19th October 2015, 08:14   #3
rachk116

Thank you,

I have already signed up to his emails. They are very informative. Our trip is not going to be completely about birding so it remains to be seen whether we will make one of the walks. Are there any particularly good areas where we should go? I've not found as much information on winter birds and what might be seen. Just in case we don't get around to one of the walks.

Thanks,

Rachel
Old Monday 19th October 2015, 11:08   #4
Mono
Hi!

Have a look at Arthur's thread here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=199223

He has been posting his sightings for many years, have a look at the November ones to give you an idea of what is about where.

Central Park has a wide variety of habitats and much can be seen by simply wandering about the Ramble. Where are you staying? if you are close to the park then you can top and tail your day with a quick visit.

Don't be too stressed about the ids, you just have to go about it in the old school methodical fashion, noting down the distinguishing features and habits, plus there are usually other birders around to ask particularly at the feeders. Swat up on the sparrows before you go there are lots that look very similar!

Have a good trip.

Mono
Old Tuesday 20th October 2015, 18:00   #5
rachk116

Thanks Mono, that's really helpful. I'll have a look at the thread. I'm really looking forward seeing what we can see.

Thanks

Rachel
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: