• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

300mm f/2.8 EX DG cheap (1 Viewer)

TonyBee

Phoned up a Dereham in Nfk shop,to see what was in the second hand department but nothing interesting, but as i past by later that day i thought i would look in. there on the second hand shelf was a 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM. Sitting at a below original half price.
But before i commit myself just wondered if anyone has this lens and is it good, i am kinda thinking of adding a TC..

any feed back please...

Last edited:
any feed back please...

I use one for almost two years now on a Nikon D300. Nothing bad to say about it.

It is a great lens, capable of producing excellent IQ when used correctly (applies for all long lenses, i.e. one needs to know/learn how to handle them).

I use mine a lot with Sigma's 1.4x TC and loss in IQ is insignificant. Different story with the 2x TC, but that's a problem with higher power TC not the lens. May have a lemon 2x TC .....

Doesn't have image stabilization like the Nikon or Canon equivalents, but I can do without it. AF is quiet and fast (have no hands on experience with Nikon/Canon models). I would buy this lens again.

If 300mm (~450mm with TC) are sufficient for your needs/expectations, and the 2nd hand one in question is in good shape and the price is OK I would give the lens some serious consideration.

Ulli

Subject to your style of photography and discipline I would have no hesitation in recommending this lens subject to its limitations i.e. no IS and no focus distance limiter. My version is the older EX version. I don't think I have met one person or reviewer who stated that the DG version was recognisably any better than the version I have. The DG coatings are designed to reduce flare and ghosting but since there was never a problem I suppose the new version enabled a price hiking. That said in terms of value for money the image quality produced makes it an outstanding value lens. If the glass were Canon glass it would easily slip into the 'L' series category in my opinion. The image quality fall only very slightly below the Canon equivelant (which is probably Canons sharpest).

When a 1.4 X converter is used the image quality is still top notch and when a 2X converter is used you can still achieve good results capable of being published.

I use various lenses and you can see a number of my images taken with this lens in my gallery.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/25708

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Taken my D300 in to give it a go later today, i feel it will do everything i need it to do, attaching a 1.4 TC the range should be ok for my needs.
At £960.00 I think its got to be grab it while i can....

Nice pics a.dancy..

FWIW, if my local camera shop had a used one of these on the shelf at half original price, I'd do anything possible (sell off some stuff, grovel to the wife, etc...) to get it. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

sorry for the delay in reply.
Yes made the purchase, but since have not been able to use it, shortly after found myself in hospital for a few days and still recovering. hoping to get out during the rutting..

Rutting!!! good god what have they been giving you at the hospital :eek!:

Hope you make a full revovery and the lens lifts your spirits:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back