• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss: Good, Better, Best... (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I just wanted to show the evolution of 3 Zeiss 10x40-42 models,
I have in my collection.

I recently got this late model Zeiss Classic BGAT*P*, and it still
performs well alongside the Conquest HD 10x42 and the Victory
SF.

The Classic offers almost a flat field view with a larger sweet spot
than the Conquest, but the Conquest is brighter, and maybe a bit
sharper.

I don't wear glasses and they all work just right for me.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1091.JPG
    DSCN1091.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 318
I have in my collection.

I recently got this late model Zeiss Classic BGAT*P*, and it still
performs well alongside the Conquest HD 10x42 and the Victory
SF.

The Classic offers almost a flat field view with a larger sweet spot
than the Conquest, but the Conquest is brighter, and maybe a bit
sharper.

I don't wear glasses and they all work just right for me.

Jerry

I have also the 10x40 BGAT*P*

And by far the best it the 10x40;)

I've got a BT version, mint in leatherette. Optically good [non P] but more of an investment binocular than a field user. My other BGAT/P's are all nearly as good as anything new out there.

These three are completely different species, with none or very little shared DNA. The Zeiss BGAT is probably the only one with 100% Zeiss DNA.
Zeiss SF is some kind of mutation due to the strong radiation from the Austrian Absam Alps. The Conquest HD is an invasive species from Japan, some seem to believe it's a threat to local Zeiss species like the HT.

The tree of origin according to most binocular paleontologists:
/.../ -> Zeiss BGAT -> Victory I (ugly beast, extinct) -> Victory FL -> Victory HT

http://www.allbinos.com/169.1-artic...twentieth_century_to_contemporary_times_.html

Last edited:
Thanks for this Jerry. As it happens, I'd been wondering about how my Conquest HD's would compare with the classic Dialyts. I looked through a pair of the latter in the late 80s at a field day where the 7x42s were on show to prospective buyers. They seemed exceptionally good, much brighter and better than anything I'd used. Sadly, someone wanted them so much that the demonstration model was later stolen.

This discussion has been enlightening, thanks again.

Jerry

I've tried pretty much all the modern Alpha 10X binoculars except the EDG, and whether you go SV, HT, FL, SF, there really isn't a bad one in that group. Me being very CA sensitive, I would have to say that I'm finding the more CA free view of the different Zeiss models more to my liking these days. I didn't much care for certain things about the 10X42 SF when I compared them to my 10X50 SV a few months ago, but with the current $1699 pricing for a new pair, I've decided to look again. I am liking the view through the current pair much better than that of the earlier pair, is it just me, or a difference in the two, I'm not sure. |:d|

I didn't much care for certain things about the 10X42 SF when I compared them to my 10X50 SV a few months ago, but with the current $1699 pricing for a new pair, I've decided to look again. I am liking the view through the current pair much better than that of the earlier pair, is it just me, or a difference in the two, I'm not sure. |:d|

My assumption is that it is not a difference in units but is instead how you are currently evaluating things. The Swaro does give a distinct visual impression with what looks like a color balance slightly toward the blue side. This to me gives a perceived brighter view compared to the Zeiss SF with a slightly yellow/green balance. (The SF actually has a slightly higher light transmission.)

We tend to get comfortable with what we are used to. As I recall, you were doing a lot of viewing with you Swaro products when you first looked at the SF and so the SF looked "different" and probably did not provide that familiar comfort level. I believe you have now been away from the Swaro look for a while and so you do not notice the difference like before. I think it is just human nature in many cases to want to stay with what we are used to. At least that is the case with me.

As a side note, I have both the Swaro 10X50 EL SV and the SF 10X42. Both are suburb, but I would easily keep the SF over the SV EL. I find the SF the best overall package with the wider FOV, the lighter weight and noticeably better balance and the better focus knob ergonomics. As far as optics, I consider them equivalent. The biggest difference is the color balance but both are close to neutral. I like the SF balance better because I think it does a better job cutting through haze and it shows slightly less stray light.

Hi Bruce

My viewing so far has been two very brief sessions, and without an SV here it's impossible to make much of a comparison. The only reason I sold the 10X50 SV was the CA level, otherwise they were nearly perfect, I believe the latest SF I have is about as good as I've seen on CA control, but I need more time with them to say for sure. Time will tell if I see the same pronounced yellow cast to the view with the sun about to set behind me that I saw in the first pair. Maybe it's a good thing I don't have anything here to compare these to.:-O

Hi Bruce

................ Maybe it's a good thing I don't have anything here to compare these to.:-O

Exactly! When I just take one out (choosing between the SF and SV EL) I generally doo not pick up a color cast. When I have both out and compare side by side, I notice a slight color cast in both. :eek!:

Exactly! When I just take one out (choosing between the SF and SV EL) I generally do not pick up a color cast. When I have both out and compare side by side, I notice a slight color cast in both. :eek!:

Very true Bruce!

With my 7x42's side by side (Habicht GA's and Zeiss FL's), I can detect a "very slight" warmness in the FL, with the Habicht having absolute accurate color fidelity (to my eyes). However, using just the FL's the other day, was totally unaware of any color shift, they looked very natural!

Similarly, with the Habicht and SV side by side, the EL SVs (either 8x32 or 10x50) take the color fidelity of the Habichts (8x30W GA or 10x40W GA) and across the color spectrum, deepen the color contrast in a pleasing way! Again, when not side by side, either the ELs or the Habichts appear Equal and Very Natural in their color cast presentations.

Ted

It's easy to make unfavorable judgments about a certain binocular when you don't quite have the diopter and or IP dialed in. To compare Alpha binoculars, those two parameters must be set to perfection on both units in order to have any chance of seeing the kind of differences in sharpness and to a lesser degree CA control that the top binoculars are capable of showing. IMO

Please excuse my rambling and rattling, I'm still learning.:-O

It's easy to make unfavorable judgments about a certain binocular when you don't quite have the diopter and or IP dialed in. To compare Alpha binoculars, those two parameters must be set to perfection on both units in order to have any chance of seeing the kind of differences in sharpness and to a lesser degree CA control that the top binoculars are capable of showing. IMO...
:t:

The recent Horizon programme 'Seeing is believing' should I think be watched by anyone interested in what we actually see or think that we see.

In a way a difficult programme to take in.

It claims only 10% of what we see comes from our eyes, 90% from our brain and hereditary effects we are born with.

In addition our other senses are involved.

Maybe available on i Player.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back