• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

year and model of this bino (1 Viewer)

I knew somebody who had a pair of these and for birding I'd steer clear. They have a very narrow field of view and you will be constantly frustrated trying to pick things up in flight and dense vegetation. Also 8x20 suggests mediocre performance in low light. Don't be tempted by the Zeiss badge: I'm sure these are very good for general purpose use but definitely not for birding.

I have used the Olympus pci 8x24 and I know it's not like a full size bin. There are compromises with the compact size. The Olympus are great on value and price. I hope that Zeiss will be equal (if no better) than the Olympus because Zeiss are water resistant and more compact. I think they at little wider too.

But it's true that it's important a decent wide view. The kowa 6x30 have decent quality and respectables 400m at 1000m. Very easy to find birds, but again no compact at all. As I said before, compactness has it compromises.

Regards

Hi, the binos arrive on Monday. I still have no tested outdoor, but here are my first impressions.

First of all conquest 8x20 are really tiny. That's is one of the things I was interested.

The handling is good for such compact size and they seem robust.

About the optics I compared against the Olympus pci 8x24 (very good bino for the price). The Olympus are brighter, no doubt about this. About the fov I think that is the same, but I need test it outdoor.
What surprised me is that trying to read a book with drawings at 10m :

The Olympus shows bigger letters.
The Zeiss shows a "pop up" on letters. It's more obvious when there are different colors as on drawings etc. It's like a3d effect. Have you notice something like this?
The resolution seems better on Zeiss.

Thanks in advance

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back