• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SWLA Exhibition in Northumberland (1 Viewer)

Gill Osborne

I just read about this in Tuesday's Journal - in that silly 'Culture' magazine they give away each week that none of my customers want! :-O I'll usually flick through it to see what cr*p they are passing off as 'art' at the Baltic and other such poncey galleries and blow me down if they didn't actually have some REAL art in it this week!!!!!!! :eek!:

Starting TODAY, 27th February until 30th March there is an exhibition by the Society of Wildlife Artists at the Fifiefofum Gallery at Newton, near Corbridge. Open Wednesday to Sunday, 10am until 5pm and entry is free B :)

http://www.fifiefofum.com/exhibitionDetails.asp?exhibitionID=13&topButNo=3

Neil and I plan to pop down there in the next week or so........so I've got until then to work out HOW I can get my mitts on £425 squids for that gorgeous Long-tailed Ducks at the Farne Islands pic by Michael Warren....I love it!!!! You can almost FEEL the swell of the waves!!!

Last edited:
Gill!!! - I wish you wouldn't post things like this. I'm supposed to be working have just had to spend 20 minutes oogling the work.
Great stuff and good luck with the saving up - well worth the effort!

Whoops sorry Tim :-O Neil's always saying I'm a disruptive influence ;)

But just so I don't have Mrs Wootton after me for taking your nose away from the grindstone........

Attachments

• 00-00-00-00-022.gif
    00-00-00-00-022.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 154
Thanks for the link Gill - Michael Warren's stuff is lovely - don't blame you for wanting that painting of the long tails - must pop out but I'm going back to give this a thorough going over later on...

so many of those I would love to have, or even better, have made myself for free!! I really like Dafila Scott's work, she does so much with so little, such a vibrancy. TBH I like them all!

Paul Henery is a new one for me, intriguing stuff (LOVE the grebe piece on the front page of his website!)

Michael Warrens Linnets are quite something, as is Bennets Black Grouse Lek and Hare. Best of all for me is Darren Rees, mindblowing set of paintings. The Texas Flats mixed waders, terns, and pelicans is in need of a few expletives thrown it's way....

Definitely going to go along to the gallery. Will be over that way working this afternoon, or could wait until my other half is able to go as well...or could just go twice;)

cheers
martin

Oh dear- another morning's work at the office goes on hold.

Henery is fantastic- I've always loved his BN Grebes but that Montagu's over Hadrian's Wall is a new favourite.

I'm going to have to wait for the London SWLA Ex (in September I think). Sadly I don't have an up to date passport for going that far north!

Michael Warren is so very clever with the way he always mirrors the birds' plumage in the habitat.

Mike

Well - finally made it back to take a longer look...some lovely work on display here...

My faves;

'Curlews ' by Michael Warren - amazing pattern and colour repeats.

'Hen Harrier at the Hepple' by Paul Henery - impressionistic feel to both colours and technique - really like the simplicity of the harrier.

'Wilson's Petrel and Ice' by Bruce Pearson and 'Spring Thaw' by Chris Rose both have a Lawren Harris look to them which appeals to me...

'Frigatebirds and Killers' and 'Bolivar Flats, Texas' by Darren Rees - brilliant colour, light and movement - would love either of these but if I had to choose I'd opt for Bolivar Flats, Texas for the sheer aliveness of it all...

'Winter Trio - Pintails' by Thelma Sykes is simply a stunning linocut and last but not least 'Chaffinches' by Michael Warren reminds me of Harris Ching...

I'd love to see this exhibition in the flesh...sigh :(

Howdy folks, remember me anybody?
Had the pleasure of seeing this exhibition today, fantastic to see the work of artists I’ve admired 'in the flesh' so to speak.
Pick of the bunch for me personally was seeing the Carry Akroyd prints, loved her work since my Uni days so seeing some for real was a treat, so much so we’re thinking of making a purchase, kerching!!
Paul Henery’s hen harriers are another favourite, I was privileged to exhibit alongside him a couple of years back at a Northern Kites exhibition (namedropping) I remember his watercolour field sketches of red kites were superb and he uses the same flowing lines in these and his impressionistic backgrounds are superb, all coming together to capture the movement.
The Chris Rose pics are also incredible, love the azure damsel, just the right size for the house but at £4000+ it’s a little too pricey.
Only downer for me was no Darren Rees watercolours, his frigatebird acrylic admittedly is a bit special but he's my favourite watercolourist and it's my favourite medium so a tad disappointed not to see any.
Great to see Bruce Pearsons and Thelma Sykes and Michael Warrens and....well it was a visual treat, in fact I haven’t done any ‘proper’ wildlife art for over a year now, but if this doesn’t inspire me I doubt anything will.
Get there if you can.

Aye, thanks for asking Tim, will PM you with an update, don't want to bore the readers with the ramblings of a struggling artist :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back