• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sigma 120-300...should i ? (1 Viewer)

Dumfound

Hi everyone.I have had a sigma 100-300 F4 for about 4 years now and love it.It works well even at F4 but i have got the itch for a 2.8.I really need the zoom so the 120-300 is the obvious one.I assume that it would outperform my lens at F4 plus having the use of F2.8.I havent got the money for a serious nikon lens unfortunately.
Is my thinking right or could i be about to waste time and money.I use a D300.....any views really welcomed

I've heard nothing but good things about the sigma 120-300mm f2.8 lens - I've even read that its performance remains good even if you add a 1.4 teleconverter for a bit more range.

I've no idea how it performs against other lenses in its price range however, but certainly the lens itself is a very solid performer

I gave the 120-300f2.8 a brief test. I was impressed. I had a 100-400 Canon so did not see the point in two zooms so I bought the Sigma 300 prime. Both Sigmas are very sharp. They both lack distance limiters. The 120 -300 was reviewed by 'Amateur Photographer' magazine and the upshot was that it was up there with the best in terms of IQ.

I was only looking at the cost of the Sigma 120 -300 2.8 this morning and wondered if it would be worth getting. Having hired a Canon 300 2.8 recently and loved it, know I won't be able to afford one for years but the Sigma on the otherhand!

Di

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back