• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax vs. Nikon Compacts (1 Viewer)

elmolove

I'm looking for a new pair of compact 8x binoculars. Does anyone have any views on the Pentax 8x28 DCF MP's or the Pentax 8x33 DCF XPs?

Also how would you rate these in comparison to the Leica Venturer 8x20 LX?

Hi elmolove,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Admin and Moderators. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

I am afraid I can't answer your question but I am sure someone will be along soon who can.

elmolove said:
I'm looking for a new pair of compact 8x binoculars. Does anyone have any views on the Pentax 8x28 DCF MP's or the Pentax 8x33 DCF XPs?

Also how would you rate these in comparison to the Leica Venturer 8x20 LX?

Hi elmolove,

I´m sorry I don´t know the Pentax pockets but I own the Nikon Venturer 8x20 LX which Nikon called 8x20 HG in Europe. Leica Trinovid 8x20 are very good but not waterproof. I saw the waterproof Nikon with better edge performance and they have a better closest focus (2,2 m) than the Leica (3 m). If you want a very good pocket bino I would also recommend to try the Zeiss Victory 8x20 (closest focus 2,6 m). They are waterproof too, optical on par with the Nikon, very lightweight and have the best ergonomics in my hands. I decided for the Nikon because of their better price.

Regards

Steve

I have a pair of Pentax 8x33 XPs. I first got the 8x28s but found that in all lights they gave white fringing in the bottom 25% of the image.As i live close to Pentax UK i took them to Pentax and they said they would they would check them out and return them in 1 week,6 day later they were returned a pair of upgraded 8x33XPs i have since been using these for 3 weeks and have got to like them more each time i use them.They are very light,compact ,comfortable to use,good light gathering.Although the image is sharp in the middle, edge image is rather poor.(my main binoculars are Leica 8x42 Ultravids and if comparing the Pentax with the Leica's there is no comparison they are in a different league )The original 8x28s were got as a 2nd pair of binoculars to keep in the car and as these were upgraded by Pentax to the 8x33XPs.The 8x33 are about twice the price of the 8x28s so i got a good deal.But like everybody on this site advises do try before you buy also try the 8x32SPs, as the SP range are Pentax top binoculars and dont seem to be that much more money than the XPs.IMHO i think 8x 20 binoculars are to small.

Ragna said:
IMHO i think 8x 20 binoculars are to small.

Graham,

in daylight use our pupils are just as wide as the exit pupil of a 8x20 binocular. So in this respect they work as well as any other bino. The only limitation I don´t like with them is their most of the time narrow field of view. On the other hand no other type of bino is versatile like a good pocket bino. You can use it in birding, at the opera, sporting events, to work and so on just because their size and weight doesn´t matter. IMO for the real fan of binoculars a pocket bino is a must-have .

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back