• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying Zeiss from Overseas? (1 Viewer)

foresttones

I'm new to this forum and have fallen in love with the Victory SF, much to my wife's chagrin.

There seem to be a few dealers on ebay who offer the 8x42 model and quite a deep discount. Has anyone had experience picking up binoculars this way?

Besides the normal caveats for ebay buyers, is there anything I should look out for?

Welcome to Birdforum. The biggest issue with buying out of your country, is a warranty
issue. The warranty applies only in the country of purchase.
And in Europe, the wty. is only 10 years. And it would have to be sent back to Europe.

In the US, Zeiss has the "No Fault Policy, If it breaks we'll fix it, Period".

Jerry

Thanks so much for your reply. I hadn't considered warranty issues.

I contacted Zeiss USA and they say that they would honor the warranty stateside but only for as long as it is offered in the country of purchase.

Caveat Emptor, please!
While on holiday in Asia I was offered a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x20 B T's for $400 (low price), they also happened to match a pair I found on an internet auction site. After scrutinizing them a while, I left the shop empty handed and decided to look them up on the internet. Well, it appears I was offered fakes instead of the real deal. I then made the decision to purchase a pair locally for the warranty, etc.
They are wonderful pocket sized binos!

NB: This could have happened anywhere on the planet. Buy yours locally to ensure that you are getting the genuine article.

Happy birding!

I think it would depend on what I was buying. If it were an FL, by all means! If it were an HT or SF, no way.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back