• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss London (1 Viewer)

The Carl Zeiss/Bausch and Lomb factory started in 1912 in Bittacy Hill, Mill Hill.

I have an idea that something like the British Optical Company were also later in the same area.
Although making spectacle lenses I think they may have made lenses for the Periflex? I'll try to find out.

How odd.

Carl Zeiss seems to have had a London presence from the 1840s?

P.S.
No.
It was BOLCO. British Optical Lens Company of Birmingham who computed and made the high quality Cook triplets for Periflex.

Ross took over the Zeiss factory at Mill Hill.

The whole history of British optics is very intertwined. Same surnames keep cropping up.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

It is an interesting story.

I did have a wonderful large 1200mm f/7 ? Zeiss triplet aero lens from about 1920.

The broad arrow is found on British military equipment, but I don't know how many items.

14A/ is found on RAF optics, but I don't know how many other items, if any, are marked 14A/.

Dallmeyer WW2 lenses usually have UU and VV serial numbers but I don't know why, although I have extensively gone through their large ledger books.
Some of the family I think came from Germany.

TTH lenses were often marked TT. Like the Aviars.
And some were from the National Optical Factory, NOC.

I do recall possibly other optics factories in Mill Hill, I'll try to find out.

In WW2 Horace Dall single handedly repaired and hand made replacement Leitz lenses for microscopes. Really amazing that one individual kept all the equipment going.

Broadhurst Clarkson made some of their optics in WW2 from blown out shop windows, which littered the area around them.
I did get some items that are slightly green coloured, especially seen end on.

George Alcock made some of his comet and Nova discoveries using a Schneider? 25x105 binocular.

Unfortunately the triplet objectives for these, which ended up in Britain got separated.
Someone got 2 elements, the other person the third.

One element batch ended up being made into awful 4 inch Newtonians with spherical mirrors. The optics were not intended for that and performed miserably. These elements may not even have reached Zeiss or Schneider quality standards.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back