• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Night Vision (1 Viewer)

Dan drough

Copied this from the Zeiss website - anyone any experience of it? (or similar) - I may get one one day.

When night becomes day.

The latest edition to the Zeiss range of optics is the Victory NV 5.6 x 62 T*.
The NV (night vision) monocular is compact, light and enormously powerful with the light amplified 20,000 times.

Even with a new moon and an overcast sky, you will see objects you want to observe brightly and sharply at 5.6x magnification, and with optimum resolution. Even light imperceptible to the human eye is sufficient to make objects visible at a distance of over
500 metres, and a close focus distance of only 5 metres.

And for all these benefits, the Victory NV tips the scales at a mere 1,100 grms. Its compact dimensions and modern ergonomic contouring allow this high-tech scope to be operated like a compact camcorder.

The Victory NV 5.6 x 62 T* is now available from your nearest Zeiss dealer.
For further information, please telephone 01707 871 350.

Dan drough said:
Copied this from the Zeiss website - anyone any experience of it? (or similar) - I may get one one day.

Hi Dan,

I don´t have experience with the Zeiss NV myself. But I have a review in a German hunting magazine about night vision devices including the Zeiss. In short words: the Zeiss was the best of the non professionel devices (the professional ones costs about 20000 Euro!) because of magnification (5,6 is pretty much for night vision), good optics of the front lens and good one hand usibility. If you want to know more just ask.

Note: I´m not a hunter. But unfortunately german birding magazines don´t report very much about optics. In fact they don´t make any tests oder comparing of optics at all. In Germany we can find this only in hunting magazines sometimes or we have to go for foreign magazines.

I´m wondering for a long time how night vision devices would work for birding use. Did you just discussed this here? Are there any experiences?

Steve

hinnark said:
I´m wondering for a long time how night vision devices would work for birding use. Did you just discussed this here? Are there any experiences?

Steve

I have on occasion watched bats flying about and have marvelled at their agility and speed. I tried following them with 8x binoculars but failed. I have wondered how night vision devices would fare for bat watching, but I suspect they have a restricted FOV compared with a binocular. And of course the price is very high too.

Would your neighbours take kindly to you walking around at night with a night vision device? I'm thinking along the lines of 'The Silence of the Lambs'.

Leif said:
I have on occasion watched bats flying about and have marvelled at their agility and speed. I tried following them with 8x binoculars but failed. I have wondered how night vision devices would fare for bat watching, but I suspect they have a restricted FOV compared with a binocular. And of course the price is very high too.

Would your neighbours take kindly to you walking around at night with a night vision device? I'm thinking along the lines of 'The Silence of the Lambs'.

Doesn´t matter. They know me as a Startrek fan. When I meet somebody at night with that night vision device in front of my eyes I would introduce myself as a Borg just arrived to earth.

The Zeiss NV has a FOV of 140m/1000m. Where I live there are nightjars, many owl species and also bats. But I´m not sure what this devices would perform in respect of relative small animals like birds and bats are.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back