• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"A little bit of bread and no che-e-e-e-se" (1 Viewer)

Great Tit song: "Tea-cher Tea-cher Tea-cher..."
Ive heard a Great Tit today that has dropped the "cher" bit and is just singing the "Tea". Obviously he prefers his Tea to Cher.....

seb_seb said:
Great Tit song: "Tea-cher Tea-cher Tea-cher..."
Likewise Ovenbird, but louder than Great Tit and with a crescendo to boot. Unfortunately, your chances of getting to do a direct field comparison are effectively zilch!

Jason

Bluetail said:
If you know the old song (or even if you don't), Cetti's Warblers sing something rather like "Tea for two and toodle-oodle-oodle-oodle..." (etc). (Never quite worked anything out for the roulade that follows the opening).

Fifebirder said:
I've always imagined Cetti's Warbler song as sounding like the 1812 Overture, for those familiar with it (the Cetti's and the Overture).

OK - so now I'm trying to imagine what the song "Tea for Two" would have sounded like had it been written by Tchaikovsky with a cannon accompaniment. And I'm failing (but having a good time nonetheless).

I love Jason's "Tea for two and toodle-oodle-oodle-oodle" - sounds like a line out of PG Wodehouse. I just hope that next time I hear Cetti's I recognise it as that.

Given the 2 apparently completely different interpretations of 1 bird call I can seriously understand why the phoneticists have such problems!

Alaister,
Have you heard the cockney sparrers in Landun say...."kaff" and "Fill"????
Dave.

____I thought they were seeing a new sort of bird a Sor Tit______________

I know cetti's very well and both the pieces of music and I can't see the resemblance. I suppose that is because different people perceive bird song in different ways.

Just a few days ago I sat in a hide at Stodmarsh with a cetti's wandering around on the reeds about 10 feet away right in the open. When it burst into song it was deafening. To me it always says "chip chip chewy chewy chewy". But what do I know ? ;)

robinm said:
I know cetti's very well and both the pieces of music and I can't see the resemblance.
Almost inevitable, I'm afraid, Robin, since Cetti's have individually variable calls. Those whose song starts with a single, abrupt note can sound like the song I mentioned, but many (even a majority maybe?) start with a double note and the rhythm then seems less like the song too. I'm also having difficulty hearing Tchaik, but probably for the same reason.

Hi all,
Cetti's,if I remember,strike me as singing hwit..pitch-oo...and then that 'rambling' bit,all at incredible volume!;)
Wood Warbler is supposed to sound like a coin spinning on its side and coming to rest,which it does,vaguely!
Harry H

What about Great Bustard. I have a recording of a male in full display -as air sacks inflate & deflate the noise made is very, eh, "interesting"- tried to upload the file onto this thread but unfortunately it is not a valid file format -I'll try to find a web link -but be warned - the uncontrolled flatulence is not for the faint-hearted!!!

Steve G said:
What about Great Bustard. I have a recording of a male in full display -as air sacks inflate & deflate the noise made is very, eh, "interesting"- tried to upload the file onto this thread but unfortunately it is not a valid file format -I'll try to find a web link -but be warned - the uncontrolled flatulence is not for the faint-hearted!!!
Found a link to the Great Bustard display "noise" recording-with apologies to the site it was taken from- it'll take a minute or 2 to load:
www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~ian/Birding/Spain/Songs/gb_22.wav -listen to it after a few drams- it might even seem funny!! ;) B :)

Last edited:
Cetti's sounds like the last bit of the "time's up" music on Countdown

Male Chaffinch sounds like a fast bowler... gradually increasing 'run-up' followed by a flourish at release.

So how would one identify the very clever Starling mimic?.Especially the sentinel starling who keeps watch for the others and lets everyone know when food is ready,or when some one rather bigger than himself is hovering overhead!!.
Christine.

Ruby said:
Cetti's sounds like the last bit of the "time's up" music on Countdown

Male Chaffinch sounds like a fast bowler... gradually increasing 'run-up' followed by a flourish at release.

That's a good one Ruby, although with the Scottish Chaffinches they sound like a fast bowler getting his feet mixed up in the middle of his run.

y wife likes the Gt. Bustard ever since I got the CD. Mind you anything that makes noises like that she likes. Favourite Film 'Blazing Saddles'

Birdman, I absolutely understand your frustration. Even with online 'bird songs' I listen - rush to the computer - play a few and then completely forget what the one I heard sounded like. Re Marsh Tits - got loads of them here but I don't hear what is on the computer. Of course they all have French accents around here!

Jen :)

Willow Warbler in Swedish:

"Snälla lilla rara söta mamma, kan jag inte få gå på bio i kväll"

('dearest sweetest lovely little mummy, can I go to the cinema tonight')

The contact call of Chaffinch says "spink" which is identical to the Brown Treecreeper contact call here, making remembering it for me in the UK very easy.
Cheers,
Peter

Some field guides list Willow Tit as ' chay chay chay ' but I don't subscribe to this one personally and far prefer the less commonly acclaimed ' erz erz erz '. I agree that it sounds irritated and rather nasal.

One tip birdman : say the erz in a prolonged manner i.e eerrzz eerrzz eerrzz in the same way that the Greenfinch sings in a strained way. I've always loved the Willow Tit's call as it's an id clincher. Also it's important to learn the species' call as it's a bird which is invariably heard before it's seen in my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back