• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold BX-3 Mojave 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Bryce,

To the best of my knowledge SteveC did not yet receive his review pair and I did not yet either. Our contact at Leupold is usually very good with this so I am guessing they have only recently become available.

Thanks Frank. I do see they are in stock at some of the bigger retailers. Eagle has some of the cheaper advertised prices but, no stock! Bryce...

I haven't used the 8x version yet, but I did sample the 10x32 at a Cabela's. I thought that they had very good resolution. Brightness and FOV was harder to evaluate in the short time I used them, but impressions were OK. Focus wheel was a bit stiff, but then again I've noticed that every new Leupy I've ever tried had a stiff focus wheel. I do not remember any slop in the wheel.

The two things that stood out was the very nice impression of excellent build quality, and the very nice handling due to it's shape and size/weight. I think these would make an excellent travel/hiking bino for someone looking for a "general-purpose" bino.

In case you haven't noticed it yet, Nikon has also come out with a similar product in the Monarch 7 line. I was impressed with the 8x30 version, and I would highly recommend them for someone looking for a smaller 30/32mm bino. If you can find one, of course.......

Something is confusing to me about the 8x32 BX-3; looking at Leupold's site, they list the Linear FoV at 420ft/1000yd; Cabela's and BHPhoto, however, list the LFoV at 366ft/1000yd. Given that my BX-3 8x42 have a 368ft LFoV, I find it odd the 8x32 would have only 366.

Something is confusing to me about the 8x32 BX-3; looking at Leupold's site, they list the Linear FoV at 420ft/1000yd; Cabela's and BHPhoto, however, list the LFoV at 366ft/1000yd. Given that my BX-3 8x42 have a 368ft LFoV, I find it odd the 8x32 would have only 366.

I'm ASSUMING Leupold is correct...

As you may know some dealers cut and paste specs from one product to another, and sometimes the data is not the correct data. My guess is this is the reason, but of course it is still a guess...

Has anyone here had their hands on these yet?

I picked up a pair of 8x32's at the local Cabelas. First impression was good but I had a question about the focus travel past infiity. There seems to be nearly 1/2 turn extra on these. I don't know if this is typical or not since the only other Leupold Binos I've owned are the Yosemites. It seems like a lot of extra travel to me as my other glasses go between 1/8 and 1/4 turn past infinity.

Last edited:
Has anyone here had their hands on these yet?

I picked up a pair of 8x32's at the local Cabelas. First impression was good but I had a question about the focus travel past infiity. There seems to be nearly 1/2 turn extra on these. I don't know if this is typical or not since the only other Leupold Binos I've owned are the Yosemites. It seems like a lot of extra travel to me as my other glasses go between 1/8 and 1/4 turn past infinity.

Kflan22,

I have owned a pair of 8x42 BX-3 for around a year now (I bought them after they had been used for about 1 years as well) and have noticed that my focus knob turns about .5 or even .75 turns past infinity.

Justin

I finally received mine. The most important thing for me was eye relief. Most 8x32 I have tried I experienced blackouts. No issue with the Leupold. I used the last click position, extended all the way. They are compact and good weight distribution. The focus is good, not the fastest, typical Leupold reminds me of the Cascades I had. They are very sharp. So far I like them. I compared them to the Zeiss FL 8x32 and the Zeiss is brighter, but the Mojave is still very good. I did see some CA few days back, but none today. It was sunny today and I was in a more open environment.They fit well in my hands. I would say they are good/very good for the price. They are Japan Made. I think I will keep them.

I will chime in a little.
These rock!

For the money Steve was spot on!

My wife preferred the Zeiss Terra 8x42! But, what does she know?!

Lol, I just won't show her this post!!!

I need to work these out a little more but, I'm more than impressed.

Bryce...

Further comments from the both of you as you get to use them more and compare them to other bins would be appreciated. :)

I will chime in a little.
These rock!

For the money Steve was spot on!

My wife preferred the Zeiss Terra 8x42! But, what does she know?!

Lol, I just won't show her this post!!!

I need to work these out a little more but, I'm more than impressed.

Bryce...

OK, I hope the doghouse has internet connection. Otherwise we might not hear from you for awhile ;). FWIW I preferred the Mojave to the Terra as well.

Keep us posted.

OK, I hope the doghouse has internet connection. Otherwise we might not hear from you for awhile ;). FWIW I preferred the Mojave to the Terra as well.

Keep us posted.[/QUOTE

I had a chance to use these a little more.

Although, these are my nitpicks. I don't care for the design, when I say design I'm not talking eergonomics.

The battle star Galactica, spaceage graphics gotta go!

I'mnot privy to the diopter arrangement?

Just feels cheap to me.

That aside iI cannot fault them.

They are very sharp.

The contrast and color presentation remind me of the gold ring HDS.

Although they lack the brightness and vividness of the the gr HD.

To me in such a compact binocular distortions are handled excellent.
I get nice round, clear exit pupils.

This and the Zeiss Terra I got both for for under $300 have to be the best optics purchases I have ever made.

Really recommended, highly recommended don't think for the money either of these can be beat?

A lot of glass for the money if I wasn't so obbsesive I would be more than content with either,ppreferably both!

Bryce...

Yea they are great
Like i said in the main forum the 25mm diameter of the eyecups bother me, that is the only fault that i found with this binos, will see how it goes.

I thought the diopter mechanism was pretty decent, not sure what the issue Bryce talks about is.

I talked to Leupold a couple of days ago and asked them if they really imported these from the Klingon home world, or were working on an export deal to there. That is part of the reason of my sub title "The Mad Binocular Scientist vs the Arts and Accessories People". I think Bryce raises a good point. All too often the optics department does their thing and the Arts and Accessories people dress it up and send it to market. Sometimes there is a reverse thinking that goes on there in the last process.

Last edited:
Bryce,

What did you mean about not being privy to the diopter adjustment?

Frank, its more personal. Its the same way I felt about the cascades internal focus Porro.

I never heard of one failing?

But, I would rather have it on the eyepiece.

Now if it was designed like my el, you see my point. : )

Bryce...

Ah, so your objection is to the style and location of the diopter adjustment. At first I thought you couldn't find it hidden in the focusing knob. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back