• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Filter/tripod head recommendations? (1 Viewer)

paxtonm

Greetings,

I'm about to purchase the Zeiss Diascope 85 to replace an aged scope that never was able to resolve anything much above 30x. I've been using a tripod and head that I'm quite satisfied with -- the Bogen Manfrotto Wilderness series tripod (3221wn, I believe). I find it robust, if a bit heavy. The head Ive been using is a pistol grip ball joint, which suited me for a number of reasons. First, I'm quite tall, and the head adds a bit of height. Once one is used to it, getting on a bird is very fast, and once the handle is released, one is securely locked in. I cannot find the head I'd really like, one with one handle that can be twisted to free the head up to pan and swing up and down, then twisted back to lock things in. I've had the 3130 recommended, but what I want is something that can be loosened up in both dimensions with one hand, then quickly locked down. Any thoughts/suggestions on heads?

Also, what's the verdict on clear vs. UV filters? Or is there any consensus?

Thanks so much.

Have you looked at a Slik D3 head?the panning handle is of a twist design & is used to control both the pan & tilt I have used both the Kowa 822 & an Opticron 80mm scope with it & both worked fine.

Cheers Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back