• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring/Yellow Legged Gull (2 Viewers)

Lancey

Dear all,
Having looked at the gull I.D. requests posted recently I'm glad that I'm not the only one who finds tricky candidates to identify. Take the gull below for instance. Although birding in the mist isn't exactly easy, I saw this gull yesterday amongst a mixed group of Black-Headed and Common Gulls.

Initially identifying it as a 2nd winter Herring Gull I was puzzled by its apparent all dark (blackish) bill which seemed somewhat heavy and blunt tipped for Herring Gull. Thinking it could be a Yellow-Legged Gull I thought the dark eye-mask would support this. I then noticed the mantle which seemed a shade too pale (Herring Gull?) but nonetheless quite wholly unmarked grey (Yellow-legged Gull). It was at this point that I decided that it might be worth videoing.

Unfortunately it refused to turn sideways and remained inactive, front-on and wing stretched just once. It then flew off and didn't return. In flight I did note a black tail band and a largely white uppertail but the view was brief.

Is there enough in these pictures to reach a conclusion. Structurally I thought it looked somewhat like a cross between a Lesser-Black Backed and a Herring Gull with a bulging upper breast and a dark bill that was blunt ended and looking a little too big for the bird.

Any comments are welcome as always,

Thanks,
Lancey

Attachments

• agull 002.jpg
    agull 002.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 152
  • agull 015.jpg
    agull 015.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 168
  • agull 017.jpg
    agull 017.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 160
it looks small near that CG (maybe a female, supported by its round head also) and it looks like a 1st winter bird to me; i cannot tell more from those pics. my feeling says herring gull.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back