• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Finch or Purple Finch? (1 Viewer)

Terry O'Nolley

Cow-headed Jaybird
I've looked at several websites and the various photos they have only confuse me more. There seems to be a great overlap in their colorings and I am missing the salient identifying factor.

If it helps, these pics were taken in early-mid April.

Attachments

• Unidentified Finch 1.JPG
    Unidentified Finch 1.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Unidentified Finch 2.JPG
    Unidentified Finch 2.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Unidentified Finch 3.JPG
    Unidentified Finch 3.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
House Finch. The distinguishing features are the brighter red head and chest, brown streaks on the underparts (lighter red on Purple Finch) and the lack of reddish coloring on the back.

Also concur, male House Finch. In addition to the highly localized color, the beak is the giveaway here. Purple Finch has a very stout, smaller, and straighter beak than does the more highly arched House. Male Purple's color is also more overall, as one field guide said years ago, "like it's been dipped in raspberry juice."

Be careful with House Finch colors. They can be anything from yellow to pink to deep red and every shade in between. It's where the color occurs that's diagnostic -- on the forehead, over the eyes (not as a cap as seen in Cassin's and Purple), and on the rump and breast. Never on the wings as Purple's will show. :t:

Fantastic! Thanks for helping me out and identifying those specific things to look for and which things can be more or less ignored due to overlap.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back