• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California Birds (1 Viewer)

AdamfromCanada

1) Buller's Shearwater? Off Newport Beach - August 2018

2) White-crowned Sparrow (with a very small crown)? San Francisco - June 2018

3) Anna's Hummingbird? San Diego - April 2018

4) Flycatcher of some sort? Can't find one that looks just like him in my book... San Diego - April 2018

5) Rock Wren? Los Angeles - June 2018

Attachments

• Buller's Shearwater-84.jpg
    Buller's Shearwater-84.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 52
  • White-crowned Sparrow-84.jpg
    White-crowned Sparrow-84.jpg
    683.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Anna's Hummingbird-84.jpg
    Anna's Hummingbird-84.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Flycatcher-84.jpg
    Flycatcher-84.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Wren-9755.jpg
    Wren-9755.jpg
    743.2 KB · Views: 50
I’m thinking Black Phoebe and Bewick’s Wren for 3 and 4, correct for 2 and 3, and am unsure about 1?

Cheers

1 is probably black-vented shearwater
2. white crowned sparrow
3. looks pretty good for Anna's
4. juvenile black phoebe
5. bewick's wren

Agree with Tom including the use of the word "probably" for #1

Niels

I agree as well, but would add definitely not Buller's Shearwater (which is a much paler bird above) for #1, and I am not sure how one would distinguish Anna's from Costa's for the hummingbird.

Agree with Tom including the use of the word "probably" for #1

Niels

Thanks all for the help.

With the shearwater - if it helps, here's three more shearwater photos I took from the same area. The first two were about a month earlier, and the one with the dolphin was the same day as the above photo. I'm not sure if they're all the same species though!

Attachments

• Shearwater-1874.jpg
    Shearwater-1874.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Shearwater-1945.jpg
    Shearwater-1945.jpg
    864.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Shearwater-2504.jpg
    Shearwater-2504.jpg
    706.2 KB · Views: 25
those pictures continue to support black-vented shearwater. Audubons or Manx would have more white in the auriculars but hard to be certain without being able to see under the wings or tail

As well Black-vented Shearwater is the common, expected species. Manx is a major rarity and AFAIK Audubon's unrecorded in California...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back