• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid-price bins? Opinions please. (1 Viewer)

smallblueplanet

Hi
I'm looking to spend some money.....ahh but not too much!? on some new binoculars. I like my old tokina 8x30's but feel its time for a treat and to keep the partner sweet I'm looking for some 8x40/2 for a specs-wearer too.

I've seen the reviews and threads for the Nikon SE but I think its a bit more than I'd like to pay. Anyone got a pair of the zeiss conquest 8x30's? What about Pentax DCF SP range?

And I'm without ideas on the 8x40's..........

so please give me your views on what can be bought for circa £300 - or should I just buy one pair of Nikons and share!! :)

Have a look through the Nikon E II 8x30 WF (porro) - it's around the £300 mark - very wide field of view, very bright for an 8x30. My only niggle is that with me the eyepieces and the view are so wide that aligning them with the eye isn't as automatic as with the 'keyhole' effect of a narrow field of view, so I probably need to hold them a few millimeters off my glasses, not jammed right up against them as is my habit. If the URL works, details at http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web...words//recor/1/SearchFor//PT_ID/1/product.asp

smallblueplanet said:
Hi
I'm looking to spend some money.....ahh but not too much!? on some new binoculars. I like my old tokina 8x30's but feel its time for a treat and to keep the partner sweet I'm looking for some 8x40/2 for a specs-wearer too.

I've seen the reviews and threads for the Nikon SE but I think its a bit more than I'd like to pay. Anyone got a pair of the zeiss conquest 8x30's? What about Pentax DCF SP range?

And I'm without ideas on the 8x40's..........

so please give me your views on what can be bought for circa £300 - or should I just buy one pair of Nikons and share!! :)

I'm from the US and am unfamiliar with the currancy in europe.

with that said..

my backup pair to my leica 10x50BN's is the Swift 8.5 x 44 WP Binocular model 820

It's hard to find a better pair at that price!!!!!

http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web...words//recor/1/SearchFor//PT_ID/1/product.asp

Buy the Nikon SE - and share. You'll never regret it, honestly. They will be so much better than your current bins.

If I were you, though - I'd look at Warehouse Express's price on 8x32HGs, too. Wonderful bins.

I agree with Scampo, Warehouse Express have some bargain buys in Nikons at the moment. I know, I succombed a few weeks ago but have not regretted it.

If you are looking for a pair of good mid-price bins I would check out whatever Opticron bins fit within your price range. Opticron make fantastic optics at incredibly reasonable prices - in my mind just about the best value for money of any brand.

What ever you do decide to go for make sure you try before you buy. Even if there is a great deal online it's worth checking that you ate happy with the feel of the bins before you spend your hard earned cash.

:clap:
smallblueplanet said:
What did you succomb to buying, Geoff (if you don't mind me asking)?

You will not get a better bargin than OPTICRON 8x42 BGA for the price,I have just got me a new pair and yes i have glasses and find them very good.

walt-m

Anyone buying binocs under £300 should try a pair of 8x42 Avians from Ace Cameras. They are excellent, waterproof and nitrogen filled. My wife has just used her insurance money to buy replacements for the pair she broke - she bought the same again.

Smallblueplanet,
Sorry for delay in replying but I have just needed a new hard drive on my computer. The shop said the old hard drive had "bad sectors" on it. It would not start.
For £99 + postage £7.95 I received Nikon Sporter 8X36 DCF and also a pair of very compact "bins" as well which were included because I had spent over £100. I have not looked at the web site recently to still see if these are still on offer but Warehouse Express usually have good "buys". General consenus of opinion recently seems to be that they have or had good bargains recently in presumably almost obsolete Nikon 'scopes many at around half the original selling price. :h?:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back