• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth Expert Required!!! (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Hi Folks,

I need some id help.

Can't give you a photo, just my attempt at a description.

I have just come in from the garden after watching for 5 minutes or so, what I can only describe as a HUGE moth - one I am pretty well convinced is a Hawk Moth of some kind.

I reckon I know what a Hummingbird Hawk Moth looks like... I've made enough posts about them... but this was way bigger than what I know as an HBHM.

The body I would say was at least 3 inches in length, with a wingspan markedly greater than this. It's proboscis was enormously long, perhaps 5 inches, and it was feeding (whilst hovering - it did not settle) on the nicotiana.

The abdomen tapered to a point, and was distinctly striped (= hooped) with what appeared to be yellow stripes on a black background. However, I was only viewing the moth by the security light, so the colours are not reliable, other than to say light on dark.

Also, if it helps, the eyes were extremely reflective when caught by the light, and the moth itself did not seem to be attracted to the light.

I've had a look on the ukmoths site, and narrowed it down (I think) to 2 - either Convolvulus HM or Privet HM - although none of the selection of photographs were quite right.

However I would be happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

In fact, any help would be great!

Thanks all :t:

Hi sounds to me to like the convulvulus but the yellow stripes are a bit confusing.

It could be a privet Hawk moth but I would'nt have thouht there would be any emerged at this time of year.

Trevor

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I think the evidence is building for CHM.

One thing I forgot to say earlier...

WOW!!!

Thanks Steve...

I think those two photos have clinched it.

The shape of the abdomen in the first is dead right, and the second pic just puts everything in place in flight.

Thanks for taking the time to find the photos and posting them.

Much appreciated. :t:

Have you got a large patch of nicotiana? If so, you may find more than one specimen feeding off them (and more than species for that matter). Nicotiana is without doubt the best plant for attracting the larger hawks at this time of year. A friend of mine has had up to 8 CHMs on his plants at one time and it's no bigger than a dinner table in area - mind you, he is in Cornwall and a bit nearer to their country of origin.....

We've got a couple of small patches of nicotiana - but if this is the likely consequence, I can say we'll be having a few more.

We've had sporadic visits from HHM throughout the summer (as far as I can tell) but this is the first visit from a large HM.

We will have to keep our eyes open!

go for white species rather than hybrids Birdman. A good one is n. sylvestris. Mind you, you will need spece for them as they are large plants, upto 5 feet or so tall and around 2.5-3 feet across generally. The smaller ones can be good too but, as I say, the wite ones are best and give the best fragrance.

I agree, N. sylvestris is probably the one. Spectacular, tall and imposing species but worth it for the long white tubular scented flowers.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back