• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best bins ? (1 Viewer)

ingle1970 said:
hello , can anyone simply tell me which is the best all round binocular , regardless of price ? .
I'd OPTICRON 8x40, obviously depends on you, but I looked through a new pair today and I own a pair. Avoid the 'wide angle' though, a bit gimmicky for my liking, too much distortion. Nice bins.

I did a lot of comparison shopping before settling on Leica 8x42 ultravids. In my opinion you will not go far wrong, optically speaking, with any of the high end binoculars on the market today. I chose the ultravids because, for me, they were the most comfortable to handle and I liked the way they "flew" into focus for me. You may well find that swaros, nikons, bruntons or some other top brand suits you better. The only way to know for sure is try as many as you can before making up your mind. There really is no such thing as "best" binoculars, though each have their proponants. I prefer Leica, have two pair and love both.

No such thing as the best bin. It depends on your eyes (you'll see things differently to me) and how they feel in the hands.

I have two bins one 8x(Nikon) one 10x (Opticron) and I like both alot..

If price is not a limiting factor then Leica Ultravids,Nikon HGs,Swarovski ELs are all optical the best on the market.You have to try them to see which ones suit you best.Most optical dealers have field days at their local bird reserve where you can compare the different makes.8 times magnification is the most popular because its easier to hold steady.

Last edited:
As other have said, which is best is very subjective and really depends on the intended use, the users physical attributes, and how they see things.

My favourite binocular is the Nikon 8x32 SE: it's light, compact and IMO optically beats anything else on the market.

Last edited:
Ingle welcombe to Bird Forum. Try Lamberts of Lancaster tel 01524 37384 they carry a very good range of binoculars at all prices.

I went out to get the best bins a few years back... lined up all the usual suspects....

Despite hating the way they looked/felt I could see that the Leicas were conspicuously better.

I opted for Leica 8x30's as they are a nice comapct size to carry about and not too weighty. They fit in my hands quite nicely and I prefer the design to the other high end binoculars.

It really has to be own to personal preference and picking them up yourself to compare side by side.

I have 8x42 Leica Ultravids and find them an excellent binocular.They are comfortable to hold,good size and dont weigh as much as some of the others,but optically i dont think there's anything to choose between the top end binoculars.

If you are planning to buy a cost-no-object binocular I would wait to see the new Zeiss FL Victories which are due out in May.
If done properly they should be a genuine advancement over the current generation of roof prism binoculars. The use of fluorite in the objective should noticeably increase contrast. The Abbe-Koening roof prism currently used by Zeiss in the Victories and some of the old Classics has inherently higher light transmission than the Schmitt-Pechan prism used by Leica, Swarovski, Nikon and everybody else; and Zeiss claims to be employing a new eyepiece design with edge sharpness superior to any they have used before. All of that appears to be combined in a new mechanical design with improved ergonomics.
A completely successfull optical design, however, would still probably only equal, but not surpass the optics of the Nikon SE series porros. Why won't Nikon do the birding world a favor and redesign the 8x32SE as a waterproof reverse porro with screw down eyecups? That would be a binocular!

The same reason Nikon won't give their in-every-other-way superb zoom scope eyepiece a wider FOV!

I think they should do a bit of market research myself - they certainly have the technical know-how to equal the best.

I was at a local lake yesterday and looked through someone's Nikon Fieldscope III 60mm with 30xW. It was a truly excellent view - for such a small scope it was clear and sharp, and of such a restful quality.

Last edited:
Henry. Zeiss were the top binocular in the late 80s and early 90s but since then seem to have lost the plot.They are not as popular in Britain as in America.Possibly the new Victories might reverse this trend but i think Zeiss have lost a lot of ground to the others.

Alan_rymer, i'm actually waiting for mine to arrive have been told told they compare with bins costing over £200

I recently bought a pair of Swarovski 8 x 32 EL's. I tried a lot before finally parting with the money. I got them from Leighton Moss RSPB centre. They're having another binocular and telescope demonstration weekend next weekend ( 13/14 March ). It's worth a visit and great to be able to test them all out in the hide.

Cubbsy said:
Alan_rymer, i'm actually waiting for mine to arrive have been told told they compare with bins costing over £200
If you like, Cubbsy, for a fiver, I'll tell you that your £30 bins will compare with bins costing £899-00. That doesn't mean they are as good as those, though.

I looked at the ad on 7dayshop.com - it's fascinating to think they really are as good as an expensive pair - certainly they are waterproof and nitrogen purged, which suggests something at least a little bit special!

Hope they work out okay.

Last edited:
The Bushnell Birders 1/2 price (£30) from Wharehouse express look a better buy than the 7 dayshop ones.

I use Nikon 8 x 30 Hg. Mates have Swarovs and Leicas....no real difference

I also have Zeiss 7 x 42 dialyt classics from years ago....they are as good as the three popular makes, have a brighter image, seem to resolve more detail, and are as well made too.

I would happily use all four the Nikon and Zeiss are 'better-made'. The focus on the Leicas and Swarovs is not as well engineered - something readily agreed by my Leica and Swarovski using friends

Hold on there Scampo, I only get 3 quid a week pocket money!! so can't afford a fiver, What i was told, was not the reason i ordered these binoculars, I think the reason was... (Selfish, I know) i got a pair of there 8x40's for my 7 year old, and was blown away by how good they were so ordered the 10x waterproof, However, point taken

Take care.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back