• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (2 Viewers)

BOOM, Baillons Crake found by Maties in front of the hide to the right of Sa roca, Managed to get some great photos. Also 5 Whiskered Terns, 2 Male Little Bitterns, Spotted Crake.
Steve.

Great find by Maties. Well done Steve. I wish I was there but by the time I arrive on the 22nd it will probably have moved on.

Yes, Mike, he's one top birder just glad I went back to the hide to have another look for the spotted Crake, as I was leaving I noticed a few locals turning up so the information got out quickly.
Steve.

The Baillons Crake was seen by Seppo Neuvonen on Monday, since then we have been trying to confirm it, because there was also a Spotted crake on the same spot.

Finally today Maties re-founded it at the same place, very close to the hide at Sa Roca.

Attachments

• 140 RascletMenut800.jpg
    140 RascletMenut800.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Hi Nige. Looks like you got it then! Both male and female Hen Harrier have been seen in the north so it looks good.
Just when you said it was white I got confused.
Good birding, Mike

Hello!
just now a Subalpine Warbler (male) seen through the window of the Bird Center. Well, in my opinion looks a Moltonii's Warbler.
I'll try to take a photo.
Cheers,
Cristina

Added a few more bits to the trip list despite staying in Santa Ponsa and the hotel again. The front of our room overlooks the neighbours back garden which hosted Common Redstart, Whitethroat, Hoopoe and either a Dartford or Subalpine Warbler,hoping it turns for a better view.

The local harbour had Shag and Sardinian Warbler.

And whilst running through a wooded area had Purple Heron fly over.

Only raptor added was 3 Kestrel over the hotel.

Nige

Cheers Kev, hopefully bump into you when you get here.
Baillons again today, more photos, Collared Pratincole, Whiskered Terns, Glossy Ibis, Little Bitterns, Great Reed Warblers, Purple Herons. Great meeting up with Phil again and Clive also great hours chat with Simon from yorkshire at Albuferata.
Steve.

Went to Albufera today (Thursday 11th) to see the Baillon's Crake. Spent most of the day there as it was difficult to photograph, a tiny bird always hiding in the grass, and the only time it was out in the open was close to the hide, I couldn't get my camera on it! Great to meet Steve, Phil, Maties and Juanjo there. A Spotted Crake walked across in front of the hide in the morning.

Attachments

• Collared Pratincole_9174.jpg
    Collared Pratincole_9174.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 44
  • Collared Pratincole_9187.jpg
    Collared Pratincole_9187.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Baillon's Crake_9285.jpg
    Baillon's Crake_9285.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Baillon's Crake_9288.jpg
    Baillon's Crake_9288.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 55
Spent a lot of time driving around today and didn't see much.

Stopped at Cuber Reservoir for 15mins as the kids spotted a donkey (which they've now named José) :D but nothing of any note to be seen or heard.

Crag Martin, Firecrest and Raven were the notable additions to my trip list.

Saw a handful of large raptors which driving round the windy mountain routes but couldn't ID them and most to distant for a photo :(

Family want to go to Cala Mondrago beach tomorrow so hoping for something in the locality.

Nige

Just confirmed one of the raptors from a photo to be a Griffon Vulture, my first lifer of the trip ��

Nige

A great day at S'Albufera with decent prolonged views of the Baillon's crake. Also of interest: great reed warbler, water pipit, common tern, avocet (25), garganey (2), purple heron (2), little bittern (female), osprey (2), great crested grebe, moustached warbler, nightingale, purple gallinule (5), spotted redshank, greenshank, common sandpiper etc etc - what a place!
Son Bosc produced another garganey plus 3 Iberian hares

Counting the hours until Sunday morning when we fly out. I gather it is warming up a bit? Been great reading about what is around, especially at Albufera as our hotel is right next to it. Collared Pratincole is on my sons hit list. Are these at Albufera?

Maybe see some of you there.

Happy birding

Tom

Back home in UK. (Sob!). Thanks to the forum and good to meet up with Pere again some of the ‘boys’. Last entry in my notebook is Baillon’s Crake. What an end to a Mallorca birding trip! See you in September.
Phil

Golden Oriole

Hello!
Approx an hour ago Steve Gibson has seen two Golden Orioles at la Gola, male and female, and taken a photo of the bright male.:t:
Cristina.

Seeing two new birds for Mallorca at the same time was novel.
The Baillon’s Crake was underneath the hide and near impossible to photograph whilst the Spotted Crake walked past going the other way.
Nice to see Cristina again. I hope Pep’s talk went well, I’m sorry not to have been there but I was very pleased to have a day out and feel ok. A big step forward.
I didn’t make the tower either but I’m sure I will get there soon. Just a Black Kite, Egyptian Vulture, Sparrowhawk, a few Kestrels and Marsh Harrier.
Lovely to hear those Great reed warblers singing at the reserve and a Grasshopper Warbler was reeling at Albufereta this morning.
I thought the reserve looked fantastic and it’s even better news that it is to be extended to include the superb area of Son Bosc.
Mike.

Seeing two new birds for Mallorca at the same time was novel.
The Baillon’s Crake was underneath the hide and near impossible to photograph whilst the Spotted Crake walked past going the other way.
Nice to see Cristina again. I hope Pep’s talk went well, I’m sorry not to have been there but I was very pleased to have a day out and feel ok. A big step forward.
I didn’t make the tower either but I’m sure I will get there soon. Just a Black Kite, Egyptian Vulture, Sparrowhawk, a few Kestrels and Marsh Harrier.
Lovely to hear those Great reed warblers singing at the reserve and a Grasshopper Warbler was reeling at Albufereta this morning.
I thought the reserve looked fantastic and it’s even better news that it is to be extended to include the superb area of Son Bosc.
Mike.

Well done Mike! Good to know you're back on your feet again.
Hope to see you soon.

Kevin

BOOM, fantastic views of the Golden Orioles this morning at LA Gola, hopefully photos not bad either, Red Kite over.
Albufereta, Woodchat, Great White Egret, Greenshanks,
Marsh Harriers 3, Stone curlews.
Sorry I missed you Mike, had the afternoon off to watch football, also had great views of the Baillons and Spotted Crake yesterday.
Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back