• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harrier confirm / Iran (1 Viewer)

Shahrzad

Iran
As his fingers and rump color I think it can be a Montagu's Harrier.

27 Sep. 2019 in semi desert area of Varamin/Iran

Attachments

• IMG-20190927-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20190927-WA0009.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 147
Somehow I was suspecting it was a Pallid with the first pic, or at least I couldn’t see how this bird might be identified as a Montagu’s with this single pic, and now with the second pic it surely looks more like a Pallid. Thickset body, largish bill are pro-Pallid for a start, but it’s mainly the head pattern that points to Pallid: the subocular crescent is triangular and divides the cheek patch in two portions that are roughly the same size (crescent usually more rounded in Monty’s, and when it divides the cheek patch, the rear part is usually much larger than the front part), also note the lack of a clear supercilium behind the eye. And an extra point is visible on’pic 1: the short P10.

From BRC.

Attachments

• 52FFA8FC-42EE-4D27-BA45-8307D36B7928.jpeg
    52FFA8FC-42EE-4D27-BA45-8307D36B7928.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 40
  • DC38A81D-234C-4929-A148-1D4E8AA6D9A0.jpeg
    DC38A81D-234C-4929-A148-1D4E8AA6D9A0.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 54
Thanks

Somehow I was suspecting it was a Pallid with the first pic, or at least I couldn’t see how this bird might be identified as a Montagu’s with this single pic, and now with the second pic it surely looks more like a Pallid. Thickset body, largish bill are pro-Pallid for a start, but it’s mainly the head pattern that points to Pallid: the subocular crescent is triangular and divides the cheek patch in two portions that are roughly the same size (crescent usually more rounded in Monty’s, and when it divides the cheek patch, the rear part is usually much larger than the front part), also note the lack of a clear supercilium behind the eye. And an extra point is visible on’pic 1: the short P10.

Many thanks Tib78, you mentioned good keys for identification.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back