• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bincos on monocs? (1 Viewer)

Samora

This si my first post to Bird Forum and this might sound rather an odd request

I was wondering whether someone could offer me some advice on which bincos or monocs I should buy.

I enjoying bird watching when I can but I don't envisage doing a great deal of it

On a limited budget I quite like the sound of the Swift UltraLite 10x42. They got a very good recommendation from Better View Desired and are in my price range.

But they are twice the capacity I need - so to speak. I can only see out of one eye therefore I was wondering whether a monocular would be more suitable.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be welcomed

I have to admit that I know nothing about monoculars, but it would seem sensible not to pay for bins if you are not using half of their optical components. Monocs must surely be cheaper for equivalent specifications?
I had a Swift binoc (in fact I still have it as my reserve pair) and they were reasonably OK--a bit heavy compared with my present Opticron roof-prism 8 x 42s.
I think that Opticron are good value for money--considerably cheaper than the top-end bins and not that bad.
As always, the advice must be 'try before you buy'. Everyone is different and what suits one person will not necessarily suit another.
Good luck!

PS Welcome to Birdforum!!

Last edited:
Hi Samora,

Welcome to the forum. I think the main problem with monoculars is the fact that they tend to come with small object lenses (8 x 20, 10 x 25), which will not give you the sort of light gathering power as you would get from 8 x 42 binos.

Paul

I see from the Opticron site www.opticron.co.uk they do do monoculars with decent size objectives. Perhaps this would be a better option than my first thought after Paul's post: buy a pair of individual focussing eyepiece bins from EBay and saw them in half. Seriously, you probably wouldn't be doing them a disservice since they were probably out of collimation in the first place and you could get yourself a bargain. Then again, the Opticron monoculars, being designed as monoculars, would probably be more comfortable to focus.

The other main objection to monoculars is that they are thought of as being less comfortable to use than bins. But that probably really applies to the smaller objectives Paul refers to which perhaps feel a bit fiddly next to a pair of compact bins.

I guess the try before you buy maxim is the safest. If you don't find binoculars more comfortable to hold than a monocular, I'd have thought you might as well go with the cheaper, lighter and more compact option.

Hi Samora

I think there are few monoculars out there though I did once have a not very nice Russian 8x30. The BVD site is among the best out there but is very American i.e. lots of American brands and many UK ones are missing. Viking and RSPB (rebranded Viking) offer good value. The RSPB WP 8x42 is waterproof with good optics at about £200. There is a Viking 8x40 porro at half that price that is ugly, not waterproof, but has remarkable optics: a flat very wide field with little distortion, little false colour, no obvious colour cast and decent sharpness. I have a Nikon Egret II 8x40 which is excellent value at not much more than £100 but ugly and with a lot of edge distortion. The Viking optics are better IMO but the Nikon is very very robust.

Best thing is to make a short list, visit a nearly dealer with a wide range, and compare them.

BTW I prefer 8x bins: wider field, greater depth of field, less shake and almost as much detail visible given my not totally steady hands. Course it's a personal choice and some mis-guided souls really do maintain they prefer 10x bins. :)

Hi Samora

Welcome to Bird Forum on behalf of Admin and the Moderators! Very good to have someone from Oxford on board. I'm sure you'll get even more advice to your question bef0ore long. As you see, BF members are very friendly and very helpful.

We look forward to hearing from you in the future,

Peter

I was not aware of those Opticron models. They would look a good option, but try before you buy, and try out the 8x version as well, slightly less maginification, but better field of view and depth of field, and less risk of shake.

Paul

Last edited:
Most mono's have smaller objectives as pointed out in previous threads. I know that Zeiss have a range of mono's including a 8x20 and a 10x25, which are also suitable for spectacle wearers as they have sufficient eye relief and give a full field of view. The 8x has a close focus of 3m and the 10x is 4.5m. field of view is 110m and 88m. weight is 77g & 88g. Because of the size of the objectives you are limited to the period of use, especially when the light diminishes.

They also have a mirror surfaced roof prism, like those used in binoculars from other top manufacturers. So the optical quality is still there.

I've just noticed, by chance, that B&H Photovideo New York list a 10x40 monocular by Swift at ~$100. They give no spec. and I have no indication of the quality. So search around on the net and you might find similar items elsewhere.

One reason for a monocular of course is weight. You might be able to find a light 10x50 monocular which would beat carrying an equivalent binocular.

Some thoughts:

1) Try 10x power binocs or monocs before buying. Some people, including myself, find it difficult to hold them steady enough w/o a tripod. And using a tripod adds weight and complexity to any outing.

2) You may be buying for two or more peeps; engaging with friends, loved ones, chance passers-by, etc., about what you are witnessing and learning often enhances the experience a millionfold. If using binoculars instead of a monocular does not limit your experience, binoculars might be more useful to more people.

3) I, too, have never used a monocular for extended periods. Can one hold a monocular up to one's face as long and as steadily as one can hold binoculars? I am imagining that one might be able to lock one's arms when both arms are in identical positions, whereas with a monocular one arm will be extended further from the body than the other and thus harder to hold in that position. The more extended arm might tire easily.

Just thoughts...good luck!

many thanks for all your very helpful comments, advice and support

I took the plunge this weekend and bought a second hand Bausch and Lomb Custom 7X26 from my local photo shop

By the way they are selling Leica Trinovid 8X20 for under 200 quid and the 10X25 for 210. Much cheaper than anything I could see on the web. check out

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/binoculars.html

many thanks again to all

best wishes and happy birding

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back