• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro moth expert needed (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Can anyone out there help with the i.d. of this micro moth.

Attachments

• micro1.jpg
    micro1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 312
Thanks Billy Boy, but it's not a Garden Carpet. It's a micro moth.
Garden Carpets (as with the other geometrids) sit with their wings open and flat, forming a triangle (hence the term geometrid).
I just don't know what species of micro this one is (I've looked on Ian Kimber's UK Moths but to no avail).
Andrew thanks also. I'm fairly competent on the macros but micros are a different ball game entirely - most moth-ers avoid them like the plague!

Micro Moth

Hi,
I've seen something very similar on Portland. I'll mail down there and see if I can get a reply for you...
Cheers

Oh well CJ, I tried, i was looking through the book and come across the Garden Carpet and thought it looked very similar. Maybe I'll stick to birds in the future.

;)

I've just spoken to the county recorder and he tells me it's a first for the Isle of Man. Which is nice.

Can I 'gatecrash' this thread and ask for help with the ID of the attached moth, please? I think it might be a pyralid. It was about 1cm from wingtip to wingtip.
Ken

Attachments

• pyralid_moth.jpg
    pyralid_moth.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 265
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back