• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vignetting problem (1 Viewer)

Rob Jones

Hi
I have the Canon 100-400 lens that worked really well on my 400D. I've upgraded the camera to a 5D. Now I'm getting noticable vignetting when using this lens.
Is this due to the full frame sensor?
Closing the Apperture to F7.1 or smaller solves the problem but that's not always possible.
Anyway of getting around this?

Hi
I have the Canon 100-400 lens that worked really well on my 400D. I've upgraded the camera to a 5D. Now I'm getting noticable vignetting when using this lens.
Is this due to the full frame sensor?
Closing the Apperture to F7.1 or smaller solves the problem but that's not always possible.
Anyway of getting around this?

Hi, I have herd from 2 people in the past that have had similar problems with the 5D, even with the 17-40L lens and also other lenses. I don't know if this is a common fault but the 2 guys I talked to returned there 5Ds.

Not the best of news, but might be worth a search on the net to see if It's a common fault.

I haven't got an FF body but my understanding is that the light fall off is an inherent feature of a lens which a FF sensor obviously displays more than a crop sensor. Shooting a lens wide open magnifies the effect and the amount of fall off varies from lens to lens.
I've had a quick look and it appears to be very easy to fix in ACR, CS3 and DPP so I'd imagine all raw converters and editing software have a slider for dialling out the light fall off.
In ACR its under lens correction, in CS3 filter>distort>lens correction and in DPP its called peripheral illumination.

Thanks Paul that's a very useful piece og info to know!
Thanks Scuzz but I really want to keep the 5D unless it really something that can't be corrected.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back