• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What to wear when birding?! (1 Viewer)

Flowers or gloves!! Sleeper realy, both my man. you never know when you need those brownie points.

I've used a Country Innovation Harrier fleece for a while now.

It's not 100% waterproof so it's not suitable for all weather but I've found it very well made and comfortable.

On a lighter note, Iwork in the hosiery industry so can anyone buying tights to wear under their trousers please make sure you 'Buy British!'

Would I wear them? You've got to be joking!

Actually, for very cold weather, I've got a thermal undersuit that was made where my wife works. The largest size that they made was worn by actor Brian Blessed when he went climbing on Everest so it's good enough for any weather this country can throw at it.

Sleeper said:
I am sorry you felt the need to reply to this post simon as it was never meant as A smart comment. It was wriiten in the same frame as the original "sarcastic" manner, which I found amusing.

I have to say that my grammer and spelling are not up to high standards but i would hope this does not make me a lesser birder and as such welcome to post on this site.

rogerk i apologise if you have taken offense to my post and I say this with my fog eyed wellies on!!

Duh!!! If you can see the funny side of rogerk's post, how can you not see the funny side of mine???!?!?!?!?!
You have to remember, that Roger has been my best friend for over 18 yrs, I knew he was "fishing" & seeing as you took the bait, I thought I might give him a hand reeling you in while he was at work o:D
Like I've always said, forums like this need a "tongue-in-cheek" smiley just so everybody can spot light-hearted sarcasm!

Roger won't have been offended, btw, but you might have played a bit more before spitting the hook out!

Karwin said:
Two schools from Finland:
Naturist Twitchers do it without clothes;
http://www.julkistila.com/naturistiskaba/index2.php?pg=kuvia&s=1
and The Ornite Order is quite the opposite..
http://groups.msn.com/Beo/orniteorder.msnw

The Ornite Order....what a brilliant idea! I wish i'd thought of it....especially this bit (from the bottom of the linked site) :

Want to join us? It’s as simple as this: just send Your binoculars, telescopes + paraboloid mirrors to the Ornite Waste Disposal Headquarters. Devoted members are also encouraged to spread word from Ornite Order: next time You visit public (or private) toilet, just sign “OO RULES” on the door.

I could do with a few more 'scopes & bins!!!!!
& I wonder what the bit I've highlighted in blue really means?? ;)

So why wouldnt you wear tights then Adey?!
A great invention if you ask me,or maybe your a stockings and suspenders man?!!

Christine

On the head : baseball cap in summer;choice of lowe alpine mountain cap w/proof & earflaps;fleece cap (scottish ornithologist club logo) or berghaus neck gaiter cum hat (covers the ears too) in winter.
Torso:thermal t-shirt;polo or pocketed shirt;sweatshirt or fleece jumper;fleece jckt;outer shell choice of ventile or a country innovation lightweight but w/proof jckt (£65 in rspb shop).
Trousers : regatta action multi pockets lined and unlined, bargains at c. £20 & £25 (better value than rohans).Regatta w/proof trousers that aren't over trousers but are worn as normal.Thermal bottoms if needed.
Footwear:Karrimor ksb goretex; scarpa 4 season;wellies or new balance all-terrain trainers.
Hands:Found a berghaus type that are thin enough to use eqipment and very warm.Have tried gloves that have been too thick,fingerless that just make fingertips cold and the ones with flap that was just fiddly and ultimately frustrating.
As with optics,every ounce of weight will tell on you unless you're going to be static.
Tom.

Hi Christine

It's the thought of 'being caught' wearing them!

Having worked in the hosiery industry for over 30 years I've made literally millions of them! - tight, pop-socks, stockings - the lot. So they don't do a lot for me, unfortunately!

Adey

Busmans holiday I guess Adey!

Anyway lets look forward to Summer clothing. Has anybody found the best fast wicking tops that do not cost the earth?

Yeah,lets definitley look forward to summer weather,went out to Hampstead Heath on saturday & got caught in a huge downpour,came home soaked & freezing.
Saw some very acrobatic long tailed tits & some redwings feeding on the ground on the way back though,two firsts for me.

Christine

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back