• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

Flashes early morning

Not much to report until Des turned up later and once again I missed another rarity!

This note was only to encourage everyone to enter data on to the Bird Track web site(you may be doing it already) - I have one set up for the Flashes and Moors Pools separately (as well as a number of other sites). All for the greater good. Interestingly if you report something like an Avocet or Cettis it asks for full descriptions etc but I wouldn't worry about that unless its something truly rare for Upton.

http://www.bto.org/birdtrack/

Today's highlights:

Little Tern of course. Found by Mike Inskip who was surveying the 3rd Flash. Unfortunately it only spent 10 mins feeding before flying off South West. That's my Upton bogey bird out of the way.

Ringed Plover (6) at the Flashes following very heavy rain.
LRP (6) + 2 young. One bird still sitting.
Lesser Whitethroat feeding 2 young right of the Flashes hide.
No sign of Bittern or Turtle Dove.
Cuckoo
Kestrel
Kingfisher
Avocet still sitting at the Moors. 3 juvs at the Flashes.

Des.

Dips of the year so far, was looking through my Upton year list so far this year and noticed that amongst some other fairly easy birds I noticed that I still haven't seen Goldcrest or Meadow Pipit! Heard plenty of Meadow pipits but not managed to see one so far!

I can't be the only one that has missed out on some really easy birds?! So anyone else care to make me feel a bit better and post there big misses so far this year?

Dips of the year so far, was looking through my Upton year list so far this year and noticed that amongst some other fairly easy birds I noticed that I still haven't seen Goldcrest or Meadow Pipit! Heard plenty of Meadow pipits but not managed to see one so far!

I can't be the only one that has missed out on some really easy birds?! So anyone else care to make me feel a bit better and post there big misses so far this year?

Nuthatch - arghhh!:-O

Wheatear
Whinchat

Believe it or not, these were once a given for spring passage (as was Ruff). However, I think things tend to go in cycles - maybe they'll become regular / more common again in due course. I hope so!

I have missed this year
, wheatear, whinchat, dipped on little tern, red kite, marsh harrier (there has been 5 so far), yellow wag (20 years ago I would have seen 80 +)
Golden Plover, goldcrest, nuthatch, Blackwit and coal tit:eek!:.
A lot should appear in the autumn to give me a second chance.
B :)john

Too many to list them all! However I still need Mipit, Wheatear, House Sparrow (anyone who's not an Upton regular won't appreciate how few records there are on the reserve each year), Yellow Wag, Redstart ...

... and we won't even go there with Red Kite, Marsh Harrier and Goshawk. I've been on site when all three have been called, but just not in the right place at the right time. :C

I have heard a Nuthatch, just not seen one. o:)

Roll on autumn :t:

Mike

I have missed this year
, wheatear, whinchat, dipped on little tern, red kite, marsh harrier (there has been 5 so far), yellow wag (20 years ago I would have seen 80 +)
Golden Plover, goldcrest, nuthatch, Blackwit and coal tit:eek!:.
A lot should appear in the autumn to give me a second chance.

the list of things i have missed(common or scarce) is huge so no point posting on here, my upton year list is on 97 btw, lower than last year:-C
MB

the list of things i have missed(common or scarce) is huge so no point posting on here, my upton year list is on 97 btw, lower than last year:-C
MB

Never mind craig you still have 6 months and a few waders (hopefully)
certainly the worse spring, species wise:-C
lets hope the autumn delivers.:t:

In the school hols you will have to get down there more B :)john

I've been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks now but health concerns have distracted me a bit.
Ferg has asked if anyone sees or (more likely) hears young Cetti's can we be told as he would like to get them colour-coded sooner rather than later.
Had the good news that I've been waiting for this morning - no nerve end damage and no glaucoma. I've been given the all clear to have contact lens fitted so no more early morning steaming up in the reed beds (not a euphemism) either.
I saw a £70 night-vision monocular in Aldi in Selly Oak this morning - do you foresee a use for it JB?

I've been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks now but health concerns have distracted me a bit.
Ferg has asked if anyone sees or (more likely) hears young Cetti's can we be told as he would like to get them colour-coded sooner rather than later.
Had the good news that I've been waiting for this morning - no nerve end damage and no glaucoma. I've been given the all clear to have contact lens fitted so no more early morning steaming up in the reed beds (not a euphemism) either.
I saw a £70 night-vision monocular in Aldi in Selly Oak this morning - do you foresee a use for it JB?

Good news on the old mince pies mate.;);)
Yes very useful for you know what next weekend , you could buy it use it and take it back afterwards:t:

also keeping on eye open and listening for juv cettis calling

All a bit quiet again ---well it is June
LRP chicks now 17 days old, no sign of the 2 lapwing chicks at Amy's marsh lagoon.
On moors Common tern have hatched 2 chicks on the new rafts
lesser whitethroat juv today by the first flash hide.

Otherwise a Hobby drifted SE at 9am, 14 Avocets 3 chicks now fledged. 8 LRP's. and the shoveler was the only sign of passage.

RED kite over the flashes at 18:52,very high up and a long way south, circled for a few minuites and flew off south,
thats all thats new to report!!!!!!
MB

Does it come with cross hairs?![/QUOTE]

Joking apart, I wondered whether you could get a tripod adapter and possibly a rifle (scope-like) adapter.
I think I might have a dabble and get it anyway!

Does it come with cross hairs?!

Joking apart, I wondered whether you could get a tripod adapter and possibly a rifle (scope-like) adapter.
I think I might have a dabble and get it anyway![/QUOTE]

Hang on. Why is a supermarket selling night vision kit anyway? Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back