• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bird from Japan (August 2017) (1 Viewer)

arodris

Last year we had a discussion about some birds that I saw during august 2017 in Japan (this is the link to the original thread) .

I have received some news regarding one of the birds that I included in that post. The discussion was if it was an eurasian sparrowhawk or a grey-faced buzzard. According to the eBird team for Japan, that bird is a grey-faced buzzard (Butastur indicus).

I include here a picture at a higher magnification and with more lights.

Cheers,

Antonio

Attachments

• Butastur indicus_001-retocada.jpg
    Butastur indicus_001-retocada.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 62
Eurasian Sparrowhawk shows 6 fingers in flight, so it's ruled out. I'm not sure if it's Grey-faced or not - I can't see the heavy malar and gular stripes of that species, but that could just be the image resolution. It looks too long-winged and long-tailed for Japanese Sparrowhawk. It's not Chinese either, as that shows 4 fingers, not 5. I don't think there are any other possibilities?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back