• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

willow emerald Trimley Marshes (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

A willow emerald was seen at Trimley Marshes Suffolk Wildlife Trust reserve this morning, sadly not by me, it was near the gate to the reservoir hide. I did try for it but was short of time so not surprisingly wasn't successful.

Cheers

How many times has this species been recorded in uk..?..[out of interest].....

ps...are you going back for another look?...weather looks ok tomorrow....suppose itz a long shot tho.....

Although that website doesn't mention it, I was told that there was a previous record from the same site a year or two ago... wonder if there's actually a small colony yet to be discovered?

That's all very interesting/intriguing...!
Makes you wonder...[like you say 'dbradnum']...if there's a yet to be discovered small population somewhere...[perhaps it would be more surprising if there were not?...or am i being over-optimistic]?! Probably......!

ps...thanx for that link 'xenospiza'.....

How many times has this species been recorded in uk..?..[out of interest].....

ps...are you going back for another look?...weather looks ok tomorrow....suppose itz a long shot tho.....

Will go back in next couple of days, possible today, but it's a serious needle in a haystack job. I expect other people will be looking today. There was a record from Loompit Lake in 2007, which is a couple of miles away. Emerald damselfly is fairly scarce is south Suffolk which means emerald damselflies do tend to get looked at more closely here.

There were another two Willow Emeralds reported today at Staverton Lake, wherever that may be!

DBRADNUM

Seems to be near Wantisden, Woodbridge.

I suspect this could be the tip of an iceberg, bit like Small Red-eyes some years back (here's hoping) I could have a look later in the week if there is some more news.

GH

This could all be very interesting.....i wonder...are 'some' sites being kept secret?...seems unlikely? Be a great addition if they are at 'several' locations....

I suspect there's several.

As some people guessed I was 'sitting on' news-as I wanted to check the finder had no problem with me releasing the news nationally - which is pretty much out anyway. After an observer found two at Staverton Lake, Suffolk several others, including myself, had at least 5 this afternoon. They are in sallows around TM359.515 at the lake corner and on the east-facing side. They can 'more or less' be seen from footpath. They were generally about 2 - 3 metres up. I suspect more are present in other bits away from footpath. The observer chose to check the site after the Trimley Marshes record because they thought the habitat seemed suitable, so well done to them. I suspect there are many others to be found and I'll certainly be checking a site I can think of as suitable tomorrow. Someone who turned up in a 4WD - the landowner or employee - was asking if he was likely to get many visitors. He seemed to be reasonably ok about it all and looked at them through a scope. But please stick at least close to footpaths. If you do go a scope is very much recommended I was kicking myself for not having one and kept using others.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanx for that information Steve...no problem with the 'sitting on news' bit! Negotiations/permissions have always got to take place on local levels.

So....my thoughts are now...just how far may these critters have got inland?! Probably too early yet for any real 'inroads'. Exciting prospect tho...if 'they' go the way of small red -eyes! I believe in Europe 'willow emeralds' can be found at almost any ponds/lakes/canals etc. So what specific requirements do they have....overhanging 'Willows' etc for breeding?

ps...any chance of posting some pix of habitat where you've seen them Steve?...or better still..pix of the damselflies themselves!

pps....i may have to come over to Suffolk...unless i find em in Leicestershire first...[very unlikely i know...at this stage]!

DBRADNUM

Seems to be near Wantisden, Woodbridge.

I suspect this could be the tip of an iceberg, bit like Small Red-eyes some years back (here's hoping) I could have a look later in the week if there is some more news.

GH

A good day for Dragons and their Watchers! arrived shortly before a female Willow Emerald was located (c11:00) very close to the spot yesterdays Insects were seen. A little while later a male was also seen, both showed well. (another female was seen later but moved off quickly)

There is parking for at least a dozen cars, off the road please due to farm traffic, about 600m North-west of Butley opposite the entrance to Wantisden Hall. Walk South along the signed footpath which doglegs a bit untill you enter a track running South with Trees either side and a lake on your Right. The beasts were in a Sallow on the Right immeadiately before the track that goes along the North side of the lake. Not flying much mostly perched up.

GH:t:

I dipped at Trimley on Sunday and got the Staverton Lake news when already halfway home. I'll have another go this weekend if the "barbeque summer" will let me!

John

A good day for Dragons and their Watchers! arrived shortly before a female Willow Emerald was located (c11:00) very close to the spot yesterdays Insects were seen. A little while later a male was also seen, both showed well. (another female was seen later but moved off quickly)

There is parking for at least a dozen cars, off the road please due to farm traffic, about 600m North-west of Butley opposite the entrance to Wantisden Hall. Walk South along the signed footpath which doglegs a bit untill you enter a track running South with Trees either side and a lake on your Right. The beasts were in a Sallow on the Right immeadiately before the track that goes along the North side of the lake. Not flying much mostly perched up.

GH:t:

Just to add a little, the Willow Emeralds are actually along a large dyke, just North of the lake running parallel to the north edge of the lake & seperated by a wide track, the first ones seen yesterday morning were first seen in an Alder & occasionally the adjacent Sallow, opposite the pump house at the end of the dyke. They spent most of the time perched up, only flying to catch prey items & perching up again.
Later during the afternoon, more (at least 6) were seen further west along the dyke in two seperate spots. Even in the heat of the afternoon they were not flying about, only to feed.
Also lots of Small Red-eyed Damselflies from the East side of the lake.

Stuart

Stuart...thanx for posting those pix...very nice!

Still wondering just how many of these beasties are lurking in uk now?...probably not 'that' many..and presumably confined, at present, to east coast localities. Lestidae can be very unobtrusive..[as farnboro john found out]!.......so guess there could be more to 'come out the woodwork'! Will be fascinating...as i guess i've already said...to see how quickly..[or not]...they spread in uk...as 'habitat wise'...this species has not got many restrictions it seems.

ps...might be popping over to Suffolk in near future...can't think why!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back