• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

15-07-2014 19:00 Stanford Warren
I think I see the kingfisher most times I visit now, when there are not too many people on the match lake. Last night I saw one and thought I could hear two. The one was doing the 2 pitched call I now associate with a pair. Tonight confirmed there are two, as they were calling and responding across 2 lakes. Also discovered where the swallows nest that feed on the Thameside creek - under the sluice! The great skylark is still entertaining with it's rise, dive, fall and call. Interesting bird!!

21-07-2014 19:00 Stanford Warren
After seeing two kingfisher on the River Cole, Birmingham yesterday, this evening I saw two on the main lake, Warren Fishery, Stanford le Hope. Then one on the Match lake, I took to be one of the pair.

23-07-2014 19:00 Stanford Warren
I saw the kingfisher hovering over the WF Match lake for around 10 seconds!! I've only seen one hover before. I then saw the pair together. I now think/understand that one of them patrols/flies around all the lakes.

31-07-2014 Stanford Warren
A pretty good week down SW, with a kingfisher always visiting the Match lake and then on the main lake in a pair. Around a hundred+ starlings by the Thames and 50 odd swifts I think over the reeds one evening, pretty impressive low flying and seemed to be everywhere. Then in a group over the lakes another night. 2 L. Egret on the Creek this evening - first time I seen them for a long time. A brief KF 'chiiiii' along the Creek as well. But could not see it. Loads of warblers in the reeds. One evening families of both blue and LTTs. Young so tiny. Same for tiny wrens.

05-08-2014 Stanford Warren
One L. Egret on the creek last night and the first time I had seen a kingfisher along the creek next to the reeds. I then heard another in the Fishery and then the one on the Creek called back. I always think there are more than 2. This evening possibly heard more than 2 again. Could hear 2 calling each other and saw one up and over the path. A new spot for me is a Hobby now both nights. A Heron and family of GCG. 5+ Swallows, Warblers and a Skylark.

13-08-2014 Warren Fishery
I had a 3 KF fly past at the weekend in Brum. The kingfisher was flying around the main lake at Warren Fishery, I might have heard 2 calling. There was LLT and GWP. All the geese appear to have gone!

01-09-2014 Warren Fishery 18:00
A L. Egret down by the Creek Sluice on Stanford Warren. Then a kingfisher, heron and a cormorant on the Match lake.

02-09-2-14 Belhus Park.
I found a kingfisher (or two) on a different lake than previous and had very good views of it flying around and across the perimeter and it's colour was vivid in the sun. It was great. GCG with chicks that were calling to be fed. It was a nice evening.

03-09-2014 Warren Fishery 19:00
The kingfisher was on the same lake at Belhus CP last night, I wonder if it's parents or other KF are on the next large lake with the banks. At Warren Fishery there was three KF this evening, two called out on the Match lake, and I saw one fly across, then another called out from somewhere in the distance on the main lake. The other thing of note this evening, was I read about the decline of wagtails (on BTO) and there was approx. 15 pied wagtail on the car park at work this evening, feeding.

11-09-2014 Warren Fishery 18.30
I had to get to WF earlier as yesterday evening at 19:30 it was too dark to see the KF but I heard it fly across the Match lake. This evening I first heard a KF calling on the tench lake. I then heard a KF on the match lake and thankfully saw it flying across. It was funny because it banked whilst flying too great or banked too get out the way of another bird in the lake and almost flipped over. Never seen that before by a KF, I think I've seen a Mallard do it as they come in to land. I then saw the kingfisher fly back across the lake. It was calling a lot as it flew across. I then went to look for something else over the Stanford Warren and was rewarded with views of the Marsh Harrier which flew off to quick, but then thankfully returned over the Match lake later. Also a couple swallows present. Great!!

11-09-2014 Warren Fishery 19.20
I left it too late and it was murky at WF when I got there. Plenty of gulls flying around and other birds calling. There were 2 Kingfisher calling, first the one on the main lake called, then one on the match lake called and the other one called back. They were both doing the two pitch couple call.

18-09-2014 Warren Fishery and Thameside 18:00
A fine sunny evening with Little Egrets flying overhead and feeding on the Creek/River bank. A couple skylarks in the long grass, LTTs feeding and two GWPs in the trees. Finally a heron and a couple kingfisher on the lakes.

Last edited:
22-09-2014 Belhus Country park 15:00
Great afternoon at Belhus CP. A cormorant, pair of swans with six cygnets, reed warbler, tufted duck, LTTs, green woodpecker, GCGs on most lakes, some with young. As I walked along the path to go to the lake where I usually see the kingfisher, what did I see but a kingfisher (or two?) flying towards me along the path. I could tell it was a KF by the shape of the body, the direct flight following the path and the way it flew around the bend in the path. I then heard it later on the usual lake, it flew past a couple times before I saw and heard it with another kingfisher. They were chasing and flapping their wings at each other and landed in a tree together before flying off and could then be heard calling and flying around the lakes.

23rd and 24th Sept. 18:00
Kingfisher on the match lake and another heard on the main lake. LTTs feeding in the trees either side of the match lake path. L. Egrets either on the creek or coast. I've now seen a blue tit feeding on an apple tree, last week four moorhens were doing the same. GWP and warblers heard.

29th Sept. 18:30
Plenty of bird song at Warren Fishery. Light was getting mirky. I could hear 2 KF. Then one Kingfisher flew across the match lake and called out and the one on the main lake called back. The two pitch call. GWP called. A LTT flew past to the trees on the side of the match lake path. I could see a Robin in the Apple tree singing and 2 others nearby where singing back. Then I went for my run along the path along the front that has a small pool and creek next to it, and what did I hear - another kingfisher!! I wondered if I'd ever see one on this stretch. I couldn't see it as it was now getting dark and when I had another look, it called again!! Then overheard a L. Egret flew past. Wrens and Blackbirds calling from the trees behind. There was another bird calling with a distinctive call and checking BTO and youtube, I reckon it was a Cetti's Warbler.

Last edited:
1st October 18:30 Warren Fishery
The first bird I saw fly across the match lake was a Jay!! Then 2 kingfisher were on the match lake this evening, as one called from one side the other called back on the opposite side. There may have been more, they were very vocal. Then one flew up and over the path, over my head. Swans with one grown cygnet on the front path pool.

1st October 18:30 Warren Fishery
Great evening and sunset. Jay across the Match lake again, we saw a few at lunch so there's plenty about. One heron flew over then another. GWP and Cetti's Warblers calling. Tits feeding in the trees. Kingfishers could be heard all over the lakes, the one visiting the match lake was very loud and the one on the main lake called back again. Starlings gathering on the pylon.

8th October 18:00 Warren Fishery
Struggling to see the kingfisher on the match lake as it does not turn up until just before sunset. I can hear it calling a few times, along with others on the two main lakes and tench lakes. Sometimes they repeatedly call the 2 pitch call. I heard GWP and Cetti's Warblers calling. Two swans flew overhead, a couple herons present as well. Had a GWP feeding on grass at work, seen a pair a few times now. There can be up to 30 pied wagtails at work feeding.

9th October 18:00 Warren Fishery
Lighter this evening when the cloud cleared, saw the Kingfisher on the Match lake. A heron was amusing perched up in the pylon! Could hear a Cetti's Warblers calling in the hedge, could just see it in the distance. As I left a kingfisher was on the main lake doing the two pitch call.

12 October -1- river blackwater - just below the great bradfords school, Braintree seen from the red marked post that begins (or ends depends on direction of walking) the boardwalk section of the river, recently improved by the "friends of blackwater Braintree" group.

Small brown bird (bigger than a wren, but smaller than any thrush) also rushed across, but unable to identify)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back