• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What dragonflies/damselflies have you seen in 2005? (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I've only seen azure, large red damsels and a beautiful demoiselle until today when this broad-bodied chaser turned up in our garden.
Ken

Attachments

• broad-bodied_chaser.jpg
    broad-bodied_chaser.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 167
Have'nt seen a thing here in Durham, but its been a fairly crappy start to the year. Its freezing outside today.
Sometimes when I read these posts, and see what people in the south are seeing, I think Britain is split into two zones of climate, by a line from the Humber to the Mersey. :storm:

Last Friday was good at a site along the River Nene near Peterborough town centre:
Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens)
Azure Damselfly (Coenagrion puella)
Blue-tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans)

I had a Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) in my garden (first one ever I think) at the weekend (my first of the year elsewhere was on 6 May).

There was a hawker on Sunday that was presumably Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense) but I didn't get much of a look.

More and larger pics are on my Blog:
http://thenaturalstone.blogspot.com/2005/05/woodston-ponds-lnr.html

Attachments

• azure_damsel_male_13may05_420.jpg
    azure_damsel_male_13may05_420.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 141
  • banded_demoiselle_13may05_420.jpg
    banded_demoiselle_13may05_420.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 123
david plankton said:
Have'nt seen a thing here in Durham, but its been a fairly crappy start to the year. Its freezing outside today.
Sometimes when I read these posts, and see what people in the south are seeing, I think Britain is split into two zones of climate, by a line from the Humber to the Mersey. :storm:

It's a bit bizarre, here - the link that I gave in my post has reports of 200+ Common Blue damselflies for instance, but the site is well north of where I live so ought to be behind in emergence dates! (My single Large red was about 20 miles farther south)

Nothing likely today, either - cold, wet, easterly wind...

david plankton said:

I agree, things are pretty poor in Co.Durham at the moment. However I did manage to find 2 Large Red, and 4 Blue-tailed Damselflies at the Chopwell Woods Bomb Ponds this morning, all resting on rushes. A little cold for flight.

Harry

Bedfordshire 14/15 May sightings

Saw an odd Large Red damselfly on the Gower, April 29.

Single Large Red and Azure Damsels on Saturday 14/5 at Duck End, Maulden Beds - I was told they have had a few species there already but I cannot remember what.
Sunday 15/5 2 Hairy Dragonflies, a few Large Red, lots of Banded, a few of each of Azure, Common Blue, Blue-tailed, and Red-eyed damsels, at Roxton Beds;
2 Hairy Dragonflies (mating pair), Large Red, Banded, and some unidentified blue damsels - some were definitely Azures - at Priory CP Bedford.

Hugh
PS. I maintain dates of my first Bedfordshire sightings at:
http://www.eimagesite.net/s1/gst/run.cgi?action=usrpage&p=2&o=hughg

Surreybirder said:
I've only seen azure, large red damsels and a beautiful demoiselle until today when this broad-bodied chaser turned up in our garden.
Ken
Hi Ken/All,
funnily enough I saw my first Anisoptera today, also a Bb Chaser, a female.
[By the angle of the wings, yours looks as if its only just emerged today from your pond Ken!] Also saw my first Common Blue Damselfly - a teneral male.
Have also included pics of Large Red and female Azure Blue found last week at the same site; Roves Farm, my 'local patch'.
Cheers,
Steve.

Attachments

• Azure Damselfly f. Roves Fm.08-05-05.jpg
    Azure Damselfly f. Roves Fm.08-05-05.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 119
  • BbChaser.f.RovesFm.16-05-05.jpg
    BbChaser.f.RovesFm.16-05-05.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Common Blue.m.RovesFm.16-05-05.jpg
    Common Blue.m.RovesFm.16-05-05.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Large Red Damselfly f.forma fulvipes.RovesFm.08-05-05.jpg
    Large Red Damselfly f.forma fulvipes.RovesFm.08-05-05.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 107
It's quite sunny today, and this morning I saw a damsel exuvia on an iris stem. And then this afternoon this turned up. Dont know what it is yet.
Its a bit blurry I know (bleeding autofocus) but I used this pic for scale.

Attachments

• P5170013.jpg
    P5170013.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
david plankton said:
It's quite sunny today, and this morning I saw a damsel exuvia on an iris stem. And then this afternoon this turned up. Dont know what it is yet.
Large Red male

david plankton said:

Hello David,
That looks like an immature Large Red Damselfly P.nymphula male. They are amongst the earliest of Damselflies to be on the wing.

Harry.

Surreybirder said:
Ken

Had Large Red Damsel and BBC in Norfolk about 10 days ago while photographing Adders.

Kevin

harry eales said:
ROFPMSL.

Harry
WTHDTM?

the BB Chaser is still perched on a sedge in our garden. Guess it's never going to fly? At least it gave me a rare chance to get some close-up photos with my (automatic focus) digital camera!
Ken

Surreybirder said:
WTHDTM?

the BB Chaser is still perched on a sedge in our garden. Guess it's never going to fly? At least it gave me a rare chance to get some close-up photos with my (automatic focus) digital camera!
Ken

Ken, you have a PM.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back