• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coolpix P series? (1 Viewer)

The IS certainly works sometimes. This shot taken with the P4 with a 1 second exposure.

Attachments

• water_carpet_26apr06_420_20.jpg
    water_carpet_26apr06_420_20.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 225
A Little Tern at c.200m range using the P4 handheld (using the tape reel adaptor) and panning in flight. f6.1, 1/287s, ISO50. I prefocused on something at approximately the right distance.

Attachments

• little_tern_7jun06_420_20c.jpg
    little_tern_7jun06_420_20c.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 254
Modular said:
Silly question ... Can you turn the "VR" ... "IS" ... Off?, So when mounted on the
Tripod it does'nt damage it if that is the case?,

The VR is controlled by a button on top of the camera and has three settings. Off, on, active. The active setting is for panning.

P4 digiscoping

The attached pictures are taken with the P4 handheld with a collar to the 20x eyepiece of a Leica APO77. I have not applied any processing to the pictures. Each picture appears full frame resized to 640x480 and with a 640x480 portion cropped with no resizing.

The first shot is taken at the widest lens setting (reported as 13mm, f/3.5, 1/222s) and the second just beyond the half way point of the zoom range (26mm, f/5.3, 1/54s). The lens is noticably soft at the higher zoom positions.

All shots taken in fine mode 3264x2448.

Attachments

• mallards_full_frame_18aug06_640_20a.jpg
    mallards_full_frame_18aug06_640_20a.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 174
  • mallards_1to1_crop_18aug06_640_20a.jpg
    mallards_1to1_crop_18aug06_640_20a.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 166
  • mallards_full_frame_18aug06_640_20b.jpg
    mallards_full_frame_18aug06_640_20b.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 172
  • mallards_1to1_crop_18aug06_640_20b.jpg
    mallards_1to1_crop_18aug06_640_20b.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 150
avan said:
The downside of the P serie are the lcd that even it's big and clear, it's of low resolution and are on the soft side and so difficult to make a very fine tuning of the focus. This combined with a not really precise autofocus lend to slighly soft image. He 2X loupe viewfinder is a must with this camera. Photosolve in USA.( In UK eagleeye have it in stock) was out of order of is excellent viewfinder (wide model for 2.5" lcd) so I made one with a cheaper plastic slide viewer hold with velcro, and this help me a lot with the focus.

I have the ED82 and P4 got it just a month ago. I got the same problem as Avan & brianhstone mentioned that dgiscoped pictures by P4 are quite soften just like inaccurate focused. However I believed I have tuned the focus to the best position afterward when I found the problem. Please see the attached picture taken by P4 with lens zooming out almost to max.

Avan and Brian, can you tell me what magic you have played to make your later posted pictures taken so sharp so clear as I read carefully you didn't mention the remedies, just got from Avan mentioned a 2X loupe viewfinder was added to enhance the focus tuning. So, isn't it P4's soften problem was only caused by inaccurate focusing? Also, can you please tell me the "soften" problem is not exisitng or not in zoomed pictures after using the 2X loupe to provide accurate focusing?

Thanks a lot !

Ray

Attachments

• 13_29711.jpg
    13_29711.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 156
I've attached a couple of unprocessed crops. These are quite tight one-to-one crops and are not resized at all.

There is definitely an issue with focussing. The Grey Wagtail shot shows that the picture is really sharp at the left hand side despite focussing on the wagtail. this has happened quite often with the point of focus usually just behind the subject, which then inevitably looks soft.

To prove it can be done the Meadow Pipit was at the point of focus. Is this because there is no background to fool the autofocus or did I just get lucky?

I still can't seem to get an acceptably sharp shot once zooming in beyond half way.

One thing I've changed recently on the camera settings is to set the in-camera sharpening to high.

Attachments

• grey_wagtail_unprocessed_crop_3nov06_772l_10.jpg
    grey_wagtail_unprocessed_crop_3nov06_772l_10.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 105
  • meadow_pipit_unprocessed_crop_7oct06_640p_10.jpg
    meadow_pipit_unprocessed_crop_7oct06_640p_10.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 134
To answer your other point once they are in the computer I crop, adjust brightness and contrast, sharpen a little, resize and add a final bit of sharpening - in that order. The two shots above end up as attached.

Attachments

• grey_wagtail_3nov06_800l_20a.jpg
    grey_wagtail_3nov06_800l_20a.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 128
  • meadow_pipit_7oct06_640_20.jpg
    meadow_pipit_7oct06_640_20.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 107
The DpReview does mention focusing issues with the camera which would be magnified when on a scope http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonp3/page8.asp
If this is inherent in the camera then you may to to go to Manual Focus mode (Infinity Focus ) if the screen is up to getting acurate focus this way. Also bumping up the in-camera Sharpening may be the way to go. Neil.

Zoom settings

The first shot is taken at the widest lens setting (reported as 13mm, f/3.5, 1/222s) and the second just beyond the half way point of the zoom range (26mm, f/5.3, 1/54s). The lens is noticably soft at the higher zoom positions.

Brian, Are you sure that the zoom numbers are right? I would have thought that wide zoom would be about 7 mm and full zoom about 29 mm. If you were at 26 mm and that is almost full zoom then that would be the reason that the images are coming out a bit soft. Neil.

You are quite right I must have been zoomed in on those shots. Just taken a set of three, one at fully wide, one mid-way and one fully zoomed and the reported focal lengths are 8, 16 and 26mm.

How do you set infinity focus on this camera?

These 2 photos are the sharpest and clearest among the all I took from P4 +ED82 (I got them just 1 month), birds were around 1X M away. For me as a beginner, pictures in such quality are beautiful, pleased me and my family very much already. But, I am still unhappy with the sharpness particularly on the feather which is quite soft. I think P4 will get a much better picture if it was used alone.

Anyway, I will try Neil's suggestion to use "mountain" focus mode, Avan's way a 3X plastic map viewer (US$4) good fit to the screen of P4 was bought and Brain's PS.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Attachments

• bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 220
  • bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
The quality of light makes a big difference to feather detail over distance. For best results stick to 7-10 meters for small birds. These photos were taken at about 20 meters in slightly hazy but bright light. If the bird is moving you are unlikely to get sharp photos at the magnifications that we use. Don't expect to get sharp photos of feeding wagtails or waders. Neil.

Nikon CP8400 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Attachments

• redshank  DSCN3383.jpg
    redshank DSCN3383.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 143
  • greenshank DSCN3908.jpg
    greenshank DSCN3908.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 178
Neil said:
The quality of light makes a big difference to feather detail over distance. For best results stick to 7-10 meters for small birds. These photos were taken at about 20 meters in slightly hazy but bright light. If the bird is moving you are unlikely to get sharp photos at the magnifications that we use. Don't expect to get sharp photos of feeding wagtails or waders. Neil.

Nikon CP8400 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece and DCA adapter

The attached shot was taken in the rain at Olympic Park Wetlands in Sydney Australia at a distance of 20-30 metres. As Neil states it is very difficult to get feeding waders in bad light conditions

Nikon 8400 with Swarovski ATS 80HD, 30x eyepiece and fixed DCA

Attachments

• DSCN4571_2xwx.jpg
    DSCN4571_2xwx.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 147
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back