• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A new dragonfly for the Isle of Man (1 Viewer)

We've had 1 Southern Hawker and 2 Broad-bodied Chasers (BBCs were together on the same pool). Yes, I think that is a male RVD aswell.
There's an intriguing 3rd possibility for this darter though. How about Vagrant Darter? Pinched body, more red than Common and with striped legs........(Woah! Calm down I hear you all cry!).

I agree with Rich re rv darter. I believe that red/blue eye is diagnostic of that species.
If yours was clearly pinched from above, CJW, I would agree with Ruddy. These immatures are tricky!

Hi CJW,
I'm back at my own computer now and have taken a better look at the pics and I believe that it is a Common Darter for two main reasons. The large yellowish patches on the side of the thorax are a classic sign of a Common, the Ruddy is brown and has no contrasting patches at all. Secondly, the legs have yellowish patches as well which is consistent with a Common whereas Ruddy have all black legs. I think that the pinched effect is accentuated by the angle at which the pics were taken. So I will go for Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum). Finally, Vagrant Darter has no yellow type patches on the side of the thorax although it does have yellow on the legs. Wonder if Colinj has seen this thread - he is into odonata and could give his thoughts.

Thanks Colin, but Brooks and Lewington say "the sides may have yellow patches when immature". As I said above the pinched effect was one of the reasons for me photographing the insect in the first place and was visible at all angles (including dorsally).
Where is your information about Vagrant Darter from?

CJW,
Yes, the sides of the Ruddy may have yellow patches when immature but this is not an immature because it is red and the immatures are yellowish orange with the emphasis on the yellow. The info on the Vagrant D was the picture in Brooks and Lewington on page 153 (bottom pic).

Righto, thanks Colin.
I don't mind admitting I'm confused about the amount of yellow though Colin. If it was an adult as you say, wouldn't the yellow stripes on the thorax be just that, stripes? As per the illustration in the field guide?

I'm slow on the uptake. I only just realised that the second photo posted by CJW was of the same animal as the first. It is definitely a common darter... the legs have distinct pale stripes.
I don't think the yellowish colour on the side of the thorax is decisive, though--surely ruddys don't go from immature with yellow markings to mature without yellow markings in an instant. There must be inbetween phases with strong red colour on the abdomen but still some yellow on the thorax.
I notice that the replies on dragonflies-UK all favour common darter, too.
Keep looking CJW.... I am sure you'll find a ruddy one day!

Thanks for that. That insect in the gallery is pinched and has all black legs and a lot of black on the 'face'! Surely then that is a Ruddy?

Subscribers to this thread may be interested in this photo I took yesterday 19-07-2003 The Red really is that Red. This is the first Adult I had seen by coincidence. Though they were everywhere. I suspect I overlooked them last year.

Rich

Attachments

• ruddydarter19-07-031016x4lw.jpg
    ruddydarter19-07-031016x4lw.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 111
I've only just picked up on this thread and would like to throw a spanner in the works - has anyone considered CJ's darter may be a Highland Darter? Extensive black on thorax sides and on sides and underside of abdomen. Of course, to be sure, you'd need to be able to see the extent of black on the frons.
Also Sandpipers insect is definately an immature male Ruddy Darter.
Cheers,

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back