• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (2 Viewers)

Nice pictures Barry. Pretty sure the bird that I saw yesterday was a different one. It was more fully in summer plumage. There have been quite a few Bananabills along the east coast over the past few days. In fact there was another seen here today, which appeared about ten minutes after I sacked off seawatching this morning. It was soon followed by a few other good birds. Well done to Mark for staying with it in the cold!

Despite missing a few good birds I did manage to see some good things today. The morning seawatch was quite busy for a while and a mid- to late-afternoon watch was also fairly productive. Duck passage was to the fore again in the morning. Day totals were 18 Wigeon, 30 Teal, 98 Mallard, 54 Long-tailed Duck, 62 Common Scoter, 4 Velvet Scoter, 4 Goldeneye and 2 Red-breasted Mergansers. Three Great Northern Divers also went through.

The morning produced a Bonxie, two Little Auks and a distant Sooty Shearwater. In the afternoon three Manx Shearwaters went north. I also picked up a group of three Black Guillemots that came down on the sea. A few skuas were about, mostly coming up off the sea to harrass the passing gulls and Kittiwakes. Two Arctic Skuas were together at one point, and included a pale phase adult. Better was a rather clear juvenile Pomarine Skua, looking nicely fat. While seawatching a Short-eared Owl appeared close by, flying along the bank below the foghorn.

There were a few other bits and pieces about. Most surprising was a Great-spotted Woodpecker flying over the golf club early in the morning. We broke three figures on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

On the way back in the afternoon a Merlin flew low over the golf course. As the sun set a Peregrine soared over Tullos Hill.

Attachments

• SE Owl_Girde Ness_281018a.jpg
    SE Owl_Girde Ness_281018a.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Rainbow_Girdle Ness_281018a.jpg
    Rainbow_Girdle Ness_281018a.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 31
I had a look round early this morning with the wind having turned round to a southeasterly. There wasn't much in the way of migrant activity though. A Redwing and Goldcrest were on Abbey Road. The most notable bird was a showy Common Redpoll at the seeded area near Greyhope Bay, which is currently attracting a big finch flock. Movement offshore was more limited than at the weekend, though I did manage a Little Auk north. Other passage included a Common Scoter, two Long-tailed Ducks and three Goldeneye.

Attachments

• Gannet_Girdle Ness_291018a.jpg
    Gannet_Girdle Ness_291018a.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Common Redpoll_Girdle Ness_291018a.jpg
    Common Redpoll_Girdle Ness_291018a.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 45
  • Rainbow_Girdle Ness_291018a.jpg
    Rainbow_Girdle Ness_291018a.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 32
This morning on my way to work I walked over the Victoria Bridge only to see two Otters in the river, just about to swim underneath. I think it's the first time I've seen Otters from the bridge, despite walking over it several times a week for the last eleven years. They both looked fairly small, so perhaps youngsters.

This morning on my way to work I walked over the Victoria Bridge only to see two Otters in the river, just about to swim underneath. I think it's the first time I've seen Otters from the bridge, despite walking over it several times a week for the last eleven years. They both looked fairly small, so perhaps youngsters.

Like yourself Andrew,I cross that bridge everyday but have never seen Otters.Long tailed Duck,Slavonian Grebe and Foxes being my highlights over the years.

Rather mild, windy conditions here today. Not too much seemed to be going on in terms of migrants, although a Fieldfare came in off the sea. A female Pheasant was on the north bank.

Most of the interest was out to sea and birds were generally heading south into the wind. Two skuas went through Greyhope Bay. The second was a very dark, broad-winged juvenile Pomarine Skua. The other bird was paler and may well have been the same species but wasn't seen clearly enough. Watching from the Coo produced a pale juvenile Arctic Skua. Two Little Auks came up off the sea and continued south. Also moving were a Long-tailed Duck, four Goldeneye, two Common Scoter and 14 Red-throated Divers. At least three Harbour Porpoises were conspicuous offshore.

I had quite a good look around today but didn't find too much. The Nigg Bay area held 12 Snipe, three Teal, two Goldcrests and a Chiffchaff. A Woodcock was seen flying off towards the school fields. I had a look round the Ness in the afternoon but things were pretty subdued. Seven Ringed Plovers were on the breakwater and a Siskin flew over Abbey Road.

Overnight rain had filled the marsh up, but didn't really seem to bring in any significant migrants. Aside from a scatter of Redwings and other thrushes and three heard-only Chiffchaffs there wasn't too much about in the Nigg Bay area. Six Snipe were seen nicely on the ground, which was unusual. At least ten Goldcrests were also around.

An afternoon walk around the Ness was no more productive but it did move along the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser nicely:

Attachments

• Goldcrest_Torry_101118a.jpg
    Goldcrest_Torry_101118a.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Snipe_Girdle Ness_101118a.jpg
    Snipe_Girdle Ness_101118a.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 61
A slightly interesting day in Torry, with easterlies still giving a hint of autumn. The best bird was seen early on, with a Treecreeper in the trees opposite the bowling green on Victoria Road. The Nigg Bay marsh held four Teal, five Snipe and a Water Rail. Maintaining the theme of 'birds that run up tree trunks', a Great Spotted Woodpecker was flying along the railway embankment. Other stuff in that area included a Chiffchaff and two Bullfinches. Several Fieldfares and Redwings were around, with some appearing to come in off the sea.

In the afternoon, a female Blackcap was in the scrub by Inverdee House. Another Snipe was flushed near the Battery and a few more Fieldfares and Redwings came through.

Note on pictures: the Long-tailed Tits are from last Sunday, but I did some today too.

Attachments

• Cormorant_Girdle Ness_171118a.jpg
    Cormorant_Girdle Ness_171118a.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Woodpigeon_Torry_171118a.jpg
    Woodpigeon_Torry_171118a.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 31
  • LT Tit_Torry_111118a.jpg
    LT Tit_Torry_111118a.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 32
  • LT Tit_Torry_111118b.jpg
    LT Tit_Torry_111118b.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 39
Not much around today, although a couple of things I don't normally see so well are a Turnstone's tongue and the purple sheen on a Purple Sandpiper.

Attachments

• Turnstone_Girdle Ness_181118a.jpg
    Turnstone_Girdle Ness_181118a.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Turnstone_Girdle Ness_181118b.jpg
    Turnstone_Girdle Ness_181118b.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_181118a.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_181118a.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_181118b.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_181118b.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_181118c.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper_Girdle Ness_181118c.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 51
"I don't normally see so well are a Turnstone's tongue and the purple sheen on a Purple Sandpiper."
I have never seen such things. I'm happy that over time your photographic equipment and/or skills have improved so much I can share it. These are much better than my 'record' shots.

Still rather quiet and wintery here in Torry. The Nigg Bay area yesterday morning held a few bits and pieces. Two Mistle Thrushes went south overhead and there were also five Teal, two Snipe, four Goldcrests, two Siskins, a Redpoll and a Chiffchaff. A couple of Water Rails were heard calling.

I looked round the Ness both days but it's really pretty quiet, with quite low numbers of birds. Both Bottlenose Dolphin and Harbour Porpoise have been offshore this weekend.

Attachments

• Teal_Girdle Ness_011218a.jpg
    Teal_Girdle Ness_011218a.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 33
  • Teal_Girdle Ness_011218b.jpg
    Teal_Girdle Ness_011218b.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_011218a.jpg
    Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_011218a.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Curlew_Girdle Ness_011218a.jpg
    Curlew_Girdle Ness_011218a.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Rook_Girdle Ness_011218a.jpg
    Rook_Girdle Ness_011218a.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 26
Here's a rather pink looking Goosander from the harbour today. I noticed that it's ringed.

Attachments

• Goosander_Girdle Ness_021218a.jpg
    Goosander_Girdle Ness_021218a.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 42
Another rather quiet weekend here, at least for me. The marsh held three Teal, two Water Rail and three Snipe today. Otherwise it was rather thin pickings.

An apparent Kumlien's Gull was seen today, but as has generally been the case with rarities this year, not by me.

There was some nice light for pictures though.

Attachments

• Moorhen_Girdle Ness_161218a.jpg
    Moorhen_Girdle Ness_161218a.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 38
  • Starling_Torry_161218a.jpg
    Starling_Torry_161218a.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 32
Back in town for 2019. A slightly grey and cold town, it has to be said. A few bits and pieces about over the weekend. The Nigg Bay area yesterday morning was quite busy. Six Moorhen, ten Snipe and eight Teal were in the marsh, where I also had fleeting views of a Water Rail. A male Bullfinch, a Redwing and at least six Siskin were also good ones to get under the belt for the year. A rather large flock of 150+ Linnet were up around the works area at Greg Ness and might repay some further investigation.

Elsewhere at the Ness, a male Red-breasted Merganser was sauntering about the harbour yesterday afternoon. A pair of Stonechats gave some close views at Greyhope Bay today. There was also some significant action on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Starting as we mean to go on. Yesterday there were also quite large numbers of Bottlenose Dolphins around and I've seen Harbour Porpoise both days, with at least three today.

Attachments

• Buzzard_Girdle Ness_190119a.jpg
    Buzzard_Girdle Ness_190119a.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Long-tailed Tit_Girdle Ness_190119a.jpg
    Long-tailed Tit_Girdle Ness_190119a.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 30
  • RB Merganser_Girdle Ness_190119a.jpg
    RB Merganser_Girdle Ness_190119a.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Stonechat_Girdle Ness_200119a.jpg
    Stonechat_Girdle Ness_200119a.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Stonechat_Girdle Ness_200119b.jpg
    Stonechat_Girdle Ness_200119b.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 38
Here are the all-important House Sparrow and Starling shots.

Attachments

• House Sparrow_Girdle Ness_200119a.jpg
    House Sparrow_Girdle Ness_200119a.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Starling_Girdle Ness_200119a.jpg
    Starling_Girdle Ness_200119a.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 37
Somewhat arduous conditions this weekend and not too much to report. More seabirds were around, with most of the common species in evidence, particularly Fulmars which were numerous today. There were lots of gulls today but nothing untoward was amongst them. The pair of Stonechats were still about yesterday.

Here are some sea and gulls shots.

Attachments

• Girdle Ness_270119a.jpg
    Girdle Ness_270119a.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Girdle Ness_270119b.jpg
    Girdle Ness_270119b.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread

Back