• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help please - USA birds (1 Viewer)

James B

Hi All

Could I please have some help with identifying these birds from my travels around the USA in May this year.

1 - Ranch in Texas
2 - Yosemite national park
3 - Yosemite national park
4 - California Coast
5 - Santa Barbara sea

Thanks!

Attachments

• Texas bird.jpg
    Texas bird.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Yosemite bird 1477.jpg
    Yosemite bird 1477.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Yosemite bird 2 1512.jpg
    Yosemite bird 2 1512.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Monteray bird 1815.jpg
    Monteray bird 1815.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Santa Barb 1936.jpg
    Santa Barb 1936.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 115
I'm not sure it's too clear on the photo, but the bird in image 3 has a yellowish throat if it helps anyone.

The sea bird in image 5 was about 2 - 3 miles off shore from Santa Barbara bay, while we were on a whale watching trip. There were several groups of 6 - 8 of these birds.

I'm not sure it's too clear on the photo, but the bird in image 3 has a yellowish throat if it helps anyone.

The dark marks on the undertail may be a more useful character; my best guess Western Wood Pewee, but see what other people with local expertise say.

The sea bird in image 5 was about 2 - 3 miles off shore from Santa Barbara bay, while we were on a whale watching trip. There were several groups of 6 - 8 of these birds.

My best guess Xantu's Murrelet, but as with the above, wait for replies by those with local expertise.

The dark marks on the undertail may be a more useful character; my best guess Western Wood Pewee, but see what other people with local expertise say.

My best guess Xantu's Murrelet, but as with the above, wait for replies by those with local expertise.

Xantu's Murrelet is the closest I got in Sibley....

1. Juvenile Eastern Phoebe
2-3. Eastern Wood-Pewees (note extremely long primary projection) EDIT: I mean Western Wood-Pewees!
4. Immature Heermann's Gull
5. Pass

Last edited:
Assuming the murrelet is of the former Xantus's complex (with which I agree) it is a Scripps's Murrelet which has been split from Guadalupe.
Peter

Agree with Tom.

Im not sure whether Scripps' can be separated from Craveri's based on that picture, but given that Scripps' nest on Santa Barbara Island while the Craveri's nest in Mexico, the odds are it's a Scripps'.

A number of factors strongly favor Scripps's. Craveri's is a late summer or early fall bird in California. Craveri's often holds its tail upright. The separation of the black and white in the face comes to the gape in Scripps's and the chin in Craveri's. Although it's easier to see in flight, Craveri's shows a downward "spur" of black at the shoulder which is equivocal in this photo.
Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back