Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Is this normal bird behaviour?

Old Tuesday 12th June 2018, 15:12   #1
AquaGuy

Is this normal bird behaviour?

In the garden this year, 3 robins can sometimes be feeding at the same time, on the same bird table or even hanging on the same feeder.
2-3 (or more) blut tits or great tits can hang on the same feeder, happily eating together.
5 (or more) pigeons can also be in the garden, at the same time as the robins and tits, pecking around on the floor.
Magpies will then be flocking and they'll happily be eating with the pigeons, robins, and tits.
Then sometimes gulls can join in (although they're often on the back field fighting, which has only begun this year weirdly).
And other birds, like sparrows are joining in now.
There's also been a group of probably 100 starlings circling (in an almost perfect circle) over this area. It happened for no more than 10 minutes and it's never happened since, and it freaked me out because in 23 years (I'm 23 now) I've never seen birds acting like that.

I thought birds (most, if not all?) were exceptionally territorial so how can they all be eating together?

Another thing I've noticed, and, it seems, so have thousands of other people world wide (do a youtube search for strange animal behaviour and you will know exactly what I'm talking about) -
At least 7 birds have flown into this house (my bedroom window and 1 pigeon hit the greenhouse) in the past 2 weeks and it's weird. I've never known even 1 bird to even come close to hitting the house, never mind all on one window, in 23 years.

Thanks. Peace.
Old Tuesday 12th June 2018, 18:06   #2
alan_rymer

I have no idea of where your location is!
All I can come up with is a swarm of flying ants. Everything eats them!

Regarding your window strikes. All I can think of is an abundance of newly fledged chicks and predators chasing them ( which includes corvids and gulls ).

Its not an optical illusion!. It just looks like one!.
Latest Life bird: Wryneck

Last edited by alan_rymer : Tuesday 12th June 2018 at 18:10.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th June 2018, 14:04   #3
snowyowl

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada and Central Florida, USA
Presumably, from the context, European Robins rather than the North American variety?
Old Wednesday 13th June 2018, 21:58   #4
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Too early in the year for swarming ants, I'd think (that's assuming the observation was in Britain though). Around here, ant swarms are a late July or August occurrence.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: