• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Penny Clarke

Here's to another spectacular year ahead for ALL BF Members across the world!

:hi::hi::hi::hi::hi::hi::hi:

Are you ready for another year of birding?!:t:

I hope that everyone has a fabulous year of exciting new birds and mega's!

Wishing you all joy, happiness and good health:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
My 2015 notebook is ready, front page legend and if found contact: back pages phone numbers for when the mobile runs out, useful postcodes for the satnav, numbered pages for year lists of birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, dragonflies, butterflies, moths.... its a not inconsiderable task but its done! Four days till the old notebook retires to the bookshelf with many others.

Barring terrible weather it will be a century run on the 1st. Plans for that are also already laid!

John

I'm the same as John - fresh notebooks ready with a good supply of pencils and small penknife to hand. New 2015 diary all sorted with already a few bird group indoor meetings and field trips pencilled in. The week between Christmas and New Year's Eve is generally a getting-organised one....especially as I have to work from 6am until 10.30am on January 1st! After that it'll be home to grab a cuppa and sarnie and then out until it's too dark to see :-O

I've got a few nature-themed things I am aiming for in 2015 - not least being better organised and not missing so many 'easy' birds for my Year List like I tend to do every year :smoke:

Well, my year list target is a modest one. I'm looking to get in a year what Farnboro John is looking to bag on day one, but everything must be seen identifiably by my two boys, aged 5 & 7 (so for instance, sea-watching is unlikely to feature, nor is scouring headlands for vagrant Pipits, Buntings, Warblers et al). So that's 100 easy to identify, mostly big, obvious & common species. Bring it on!

James

Well, my year list target is a modest one. I'm looking to get in a year what Farnboro John is looking to bag on day one, but everything must be seen identifiably by my two boys, aged 5 & 7 (so for instance, sea-watching is unlikely to feature, nor is scouring headlands for vagrant Pipits, Buntings, Warblers et al). So that's 100 easy to identify, mostly big, obvious & common species. Bring it on!

James

I've seen you seawatching, so I believe it not featuring in your plans has very little to do with how your boys feel!

I look forward to regular bulletins. Will you be running a thread?

John

1. Western Barn Owl
2. Greylag Goose
3. Black-headed Gull
4. European Herring Gull
5. Lesser Black-backed Gull
6. Grey Partridge
7. Little Bustard
8. Common Gull
9. Common Wood Pigeon
10. Carrion Crow
11. Stock Dove
12. Common Blackbird
13. Eurasian Magpie
14. Rock Dove
15. Eurasian Collared Dove
16. House Sparrow
17. Eurasian Tree Sparrow
18. Common Chaffinch
19. Common Kestrel
20. Western Jackdaw
21. Rook
22. Dunnock
23. Eurasian Coot
24. Tufted Duck
25. Eurasian Wigeon
26. Great Crested Grebe
27. Common Moorhen
28. Blyth's Pipit
29. Meadow Pipit
30. Fieldfare
31. Great Cormorant
32. Canada Goose
33. Great Black-backed Gull
34. Mallard
35. Mute Swan
36. Common Starling
37. Common Kingfisher
38. Eurasian Jay
39. Common Goldeneye
40. Gadwall
41. European Goldfinch
42. Eurasian Blue Tit
43. Great Tit
44. Northern Shoveler
45. Eurasian Teal
46. White Wagtail
47. Northern Lapwing
48. Greater White-fronted Goose
49. European Robin

A nice day twitching across Yorkshire and Shropshire. Two lovely lifers to kick off 2015

January 1st 2015 in Bucharest (minus 15 Celsius and sunny): House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, Common Buzzard, Common Kestrel, Redwing, Fieldfare, Syrian Woodpecker, Chaffinch, Brambling, Caspian Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Common Gull, Black-headed Gull, Mute Swan, Hawfinch, Greenfinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Rook, Hooded Crow, Mallard, Robin,Coot, Starling, Blackbird, Tawny Owl.

#1 Blue Jay (our yard)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
House Finch
American Goldfinch
Northern Cardinal
European Starling
Downy Woodpecker
White-breasted Nuthatch

American Crow (Lake Contrary)
Rock Pigeon
House Sparrow
Bald Eagle
Red-winged Blackbird
Ring-billed Gull
Dark-eyed Junco
Canada Goose
American Kestrel
Red-tailed Hawk
American Tree Sparrow
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Harris's Sparrow
Wild Turkey
Eastern Meadowlark
White-crowned Sparrow
Eastern Bluebird

#26 Black-capped Chickadee (Yard)

A slow day which yielded about half of the number of species I usually get on the first day of the year. Despite bright sunshine, there was strong wind all day, which caused bitter wind chill and kept put most birds down. However, I did manage to see 30 species.

'01. Mourning Dove
'02. Northern Cardinal
'03. Dark-eyed Junco
'04. American Goldfinch
'05. Black-capped Chickadee
'06. American Crow
'07. Tufted Titmouse
'08. Red-bellied Woodpecker
'09. White-breasted Nuthatch
10. European Starling
11. Canada Goose
12. Hooded Merganser
13. Common Raven
14. Rufous Hummingbird
15. Rock Pigeon
16. Red-tailed Hawk
17. Red-breasted Nuthatch
18. Mallard
19. American Kestrel
20. American Coot
21. Cackling Goose
22. Gadwall
23. Song Sparrow
24. Eastern Phoebe
25. Carolina Chickadee
26. House Sparrow
27. White-crowned Sparrow
28. Wild Turkey
29. Downy Woodpecker
30. Carolina Wren

Dave

Last edited:
Not a bad day despite the increasingly bad weather - by 1pm that wind was getting seriously strong and making the scope hard to use :eek!: A possibly Slavonian Grebe at Stag Rocks has not been included as I didn't get a good enough view due to the buffeting I was getting....not a rare species at this site so I'm sure I'll catch up with one in the coming weeks on a much calmer day.

First bird of the day, seen from shop doorway (where I spent a lot of time this morning inbetween serving the few customers we had ;)) at 7.51am was a Blackbird on the roof of the house opposite.

1: Blackbird
2: Jackdaw
3: Magpie
4: Starling
5: Black-headed Gull
6: Feral Pigeon
7: Rook
8: House Sparrow
9: Herring Gull
10: Wood Pigeon
11: Long-tailed Tit
12: Carrion Crow
13: Buzzard
14: Pheasant
15: Kestrel
16: Wigeon
17: Eider
18: Mallard
19: Little Egret
20: Grey Heron
21: Redshank
22: Shelduck
23: Stonechat
24: Cormorant
25: Oystercatcher
26: Red-breasted Merganser
27: Curlew
28: Turnstone
29: Great Black-backed Gull
30: Ringed Plover
31: Black-necked Grebe

Crikey....just been typing these up as I went through my notebook and didn't realise I had seen so many! :eek!: Pleased with today's total :t: 100 by the end of January? I've often challenged myself to do it and then let other things get in the way but determined to make 2015 the year I make a point of doing all the stuff I mean to! The blinkers are on ;) :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back