• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eye cups (1 Viewer)

Stud Duck

I have come to the conclusion that egronomics and how the binocular fits my face mean more to me than it has in previous years. As strange as it sounds, I'm starting to place more emphasis on ergos and eye cup design then I do on optical performance.

That being said, the eye cup design that I appreciate most are found on the Sightron SII Blue Sky Series and the Leupold Gold Ring binos. Are there any manufacturers that are currently producing similarly styled eye cups, if so, what make/model?

I would prefer to find a set in the 10x42 - 10x50mm range.

Thank you.

I find myself in a similar position lately, no longer willing to tolerate finicky eyecups or oculars. But that doesn't mean I'm willing to compromise much on optics, either; I want it all! Or at least 95%. I have a trial/demo model on order from Maven, and high hopes for it in both regards based on comments here. My concerns are:

* the eyecups have to extend far enough to work well for me, since I don't wear glasses
(which makes eye relief a non-issue for me, and I don't even like over 15mm)
* the optics must accommodate minor variation in eye position without blackouts
(I think this has a lot to do with the diameter of the ocular lens being large enough)

Can you be similarly specific about what you're looking for? (I'm not familiar with Sightron/Leupold)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back