• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Huge movement of Red Kite in Kent (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

There's been a huge movement of Red Kites in Kent today apparently totally 150 -200 birds (or more). Groups of tens of birds have been seen moving across the county (broadly east to west). This follows on high numbers in May. (Naturally, I was otherwise engaged to dat) Have other counties in the SE seen a large movement? There seem to be two schools of thought a) they're young UK birds drifting around which on arriving in the SE & seen the coast have turned back or b) they're continental birds from across the channel ...

There was a matching movement through Cornwall in the last few days (ask RBA exactly when!) which IIRC included a Black Kite. I should say that effectively indicates a Continental origin: also this is not the first year this has happened, and in past years Black Kites have also been mingled with the passage Red Kites.

John

There was a big movement down the Lincolnshire coast last weekend.

The birds milling around in west Cornwall is an annual event.

Steve

I've seen quite a few Red Kites over recent years on the South-East Kent coast and have yet to see one come in/off. I'm not aware that others have either, whilst Marsh Harrier and Sparrowhawk are regularly observed arriving in/off. Most of the Red Kites are usually coasting (flying upchannel), turning West when the hit the North Kent coast.
Yesterdays birds are unlikely to have arrived from Northern France, as there is no evidence of any movement from across the channel. Of course they could have arrived further South (as eluded to in a previous post). For me the now annual movement of Kites in the South West with increasing numbers seem a better fit with the increasing British population than arrival from the continent.
Having a brief google search shows a number of discussions of the summer migration and most seem to argue that this is related to British birds, with some arguing that the birds are of continental origin. An interesting blogpost here: http://cornishringing.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/wandering-red-kite.html
Occurance of the odd Black Kite with Reds does not necessarily point to continental origin of the Reds for me. If there is an increase in British birds moving at this time of year, then it seems not unlikely that the occasional Black gets caught up in this.

To see red kite at lampeter and borth in wales 3 birds in all back in 1976 was quite a highlight some of the last true native birds before Introductions took hold here but what a success story for these birds and long may it continue.

I've seen quite a few Red Kites over recent years on the South-East Kent coast and have yet to see one come in/off. I'm not aware that others have either, whilst Marsh Harrier and Sparrowhawk are regularly observed arriving in/off. Most of the Red Kites are usually coasting (flying upchannel), turning West when the hit the North Kent coast.
Yesterdays birds are unlikely to have arrived from Northern France, as there is no evidence of any movement from across the channel. Of course they could have arrived further South (as eluded to in a previous post). For me the now annual movement of Kites in the South West with increasing numbers seem a better fit with the increasing British population than arrival from the continent.
Having a brief google search shows a number of discussions of the summer migration and most seem to argue that this is related to British birds, with some arguing that the birds are of continental origin. An interesting blogpost here: http://cornishringing.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/wandering-red-kite.html
Occurance of the odd Black Kite with Reds does not necessarily point to continental origin of the Reds for me. If there is an increase in British birds moving at this time of year, then it seems not unlikely that the occasional Black gets caught up in this.

I'd agree that the odd Black Kite sighting means little. I too have not heard of any increase in Red Kites just across the Channel in France. My experience with Black Kite in SW Spain is that they will circle & gather for some time before venturing out across the much narrower straits so I find it hard to imagine such numbers could be missed. I wouldn't be convinced even if groups of Red Kite were reported coming 'in-off' since groups of Black Kite will launch themselves from Tarifa towards Africa and then think better of it and head back to Spain several km down the coast ...

For what it's worth, no summer movement of Red Kites in Northumbs; they're still almost as rare as hen's teeth up here. And the few that get here rarely manage to stay alive, sadly.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back