• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Earliest true bird fossil found? (1 Viewer)

Gus Horsley

I'm a geologist, so I'm always looking for bits of news from that quarter. Here's something I came across recently.

The most famous flying fossil of all is Archaeopteryx, which lived about 150 million years ago. However, Archaeopteryx can't be classed as a bird due to its skeleton being more like a long-limbed dinosaur. However, one specimen (of only six ever found), in the Humboldt Museum (Berlin), shows faint indications of primitive feathers, including some short ones on its hind limbs.

Now a new fossil has been discovered which is 20 million years younger than Archaeopteryx, which has been named Microraptor. The only specimen found so far shows distinct flight feathers on all four limbs, and the skeleton is transitional between a dinosaur and a bird. It is the earliest known member of a group known as dromeosaurs. Significantly, the feathers closely resemble those of modern birds. It appears that Microraptor was capable of true flight rather than mere gliding, even if it was rather ponderous compared to its descendants. But, at the moment, it may be regarded as the first true "bird".

I haven't yet been able to find out where Microraptor was discovered. I think it's in Canada, but I'm working on it.

I thought it was interesting anyway.

Gus

Anyone see the programme by Bill Oddie on dinasaurs, apparently the veloceraptor was covered in downy feathers, and nothing like Jurasic park (I allready knew they were about 2 1/2 feet tall)

I think you should go to the DINOSAUR mailing list.

About everything broadly related to dinosaurs. Most professional mailing list I ever seen.

I think 'earliest bird' question is hollow now, because paleontology has many ways to put a border between birds and non-bird coelurosaurs. They seem to refer mostly to 'modern birds'.

I'm gutted. I always thought Jurassic Park was based on the truth. Next thing somebody will be telling me dinosaurs didn't roar and that the Earth isn't six thousand years old. It says so in one book I read.

Gus

Alastair

That's A Million Years BC. Which also based on fact. Everybody knows that dinosaurs and humans were around at the same time.

And probably trilobites as well.

Gus

There were birds around before the dinosaur extinction that matched modern birds well. The leg bones were somewhat different so they are called "opposite birds" as far as I remember.

The modern birds developed at the same time as mammals.

There is one paperback book available on the evolution of birds.

Gus Horsley said:
I'm gutted. I always thought Jurassic Park was based on the truth.

There are some problems with details, but the main theme is very true: many people behave so stupidly that can be easily outsmarted by a dinosaur.

3:) :gn:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back