• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st Birding field trip, Any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Abbygirl

1st Birding field trip, Any suggestions?

I am going on my 1st birding field trip here in Salem, Oregon. Any suggestions or tips for me? I'm going with the local Audobon group next wednesday April 12th. I will have binoculars and be weather prepared also! ANd I do have a guide also.

Depending on how long you will be out, you might want to bring a snack and a drink as well.

Don't be afraid to ask questions or have someone point out a bird to you, but don't monopolize the leader, either.

Also, take a look at Enjoying Field Trips.

Well, it shoudl go OK. Usually someone brigs some scopes, so you can look thru those as well. Raingear and spare shoes to keep in car.

Hi Abby

I visited Vancouver last May and had a day out with a local experienced birder that I found through Birding Pals a great way to get your own guide for the day. As Rob mentions it is worth looking up a few birds in your guide that you think you might see on the day. The other really useful thing is to take a Note book to write down what you see, but do make sure to write down the names as soon as you see the birds. When you get home you can study them in the guide at your leisure.I forgot to write down a couple of birds and could not remember what they were at the end of the trip, and its a long way from England for me to go back for another look!

Hope you have a great days birding and enjoy yourself.

Cheers Alan

Abbygirl said:
1st Birding field trip, Any suggestions?

I am going on my 1st birding field trip here in Salem, Oregon. Any suggestions or tips for me? I'm going with the local Audobon group next wednesday April 12th. I will have binoculars and be weather prepared also! ANd I do have a guide also.

Take a notebook. Keeping a record of what you see and hear will not only help you in the first discipline of nature-watching - recording - but will provide you with wonderful memories in years to come...

Thanks all. I have thought about the notebook but wasn't sure about it until you all had mentioned it. I look forward to the trip here in Oregon as long as its not pouring down rain then the trip is still on. I am very shy with new groups so I don't plan on monopolize-ing the leader unless they ask if anybody has any questions, then I know its the right time to ask questions. I will keep a mental note of my questions or just in my notebook.

They didn't mention to bring a field guide. but I will bring one anyways since i bought one for our area! thanks for the reminder!

The field trip is from 9am to 3:30pm so they did mention to bring a sack lunch, and i do plan on bringing water, (extra shoe's, which i didn't think of), snack. and I like to wear a pedometor to keep track or how many steps I walk. but that's just me. Cause i know this trip will be at least 2-5 miles long i'm sure!!! I'll find out on Wednesday.

Thanks a bunch!

Remember also to just enjoy yourself. Many birders I've met have a certain something about them that doesn't translate to lists or numbers or breeding plumage. Often a person leading a trip or someone along might be the type to translate or interpret great (perhaps common) things in the natural world. I've had great fun compiling a long list with buddies on a daytrip meant for such things, but tend to remember more perhaps a behavior or habit...........hopefully in the birds and not the participants.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back