• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is This the First Swift Binocular? (1 Viewer)

henry link

I found this 8x30 IF binocular sitting on a shelf at a friend's vacation cabin. It was bought by her father long ago. The most primitive traits are uncoated optics and the "made in occupied Japan" label. The lettering inside the triangular logo appears to spell "kogo". I would guess this binocular was produced for the military during the war, then post-war simply put back into production unchanged for export.

I noticed Simon also has a very early Swift 7x50 in his collection, but that appears to be a little later production with "coated optics".

Unfortunately, the condition is terrible. Collimation is shot and there is a luxuriant garden of fungi growing inside.

Attachments

• DSC_1176.JPG
    DSC_1176.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC_1174.JPG
    DSC_1174.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC_1177.JPG
    DSC_1177.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC_1178.JPG
    DSC_1178.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 236
Henry, from what I can recall from a conversation about 8-9 yrs ago with Bruce (DRHLN), who was Swift's East Coast Sales Mgr (and unofficial company historian), the first Anderson & Swift binos were imported from Japan in the late 20's. I think he said he wasn't sure of the exact model, but believed it was a 6x25 Zeiss-style IF, almost certainly uncoated.

Spyglass/Henry,

I have a 1931-2 S&A catalog. At that time, all their binoculars were German or French made. Depending on one's definition, therefore, those given the S&A logo might be considered the "First Swift Binoculars."

This was probably one of S&A's first Japanese made imports, (unless recollections prove to be accurate about Japanese imports during the late 1920s.) I find it interesting that during the post-war period (1945-51) the company was already using the registered reticle or "bullseye" mark, which can be seen at the bottom of the 1959 catalog.

In any case, it's a very nice collector's item. :t:

Ed

Attachments

• S&A Catalog 1959 lo res.jpg
    S&A Catalog 1959 lo res.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
They deserve to be cleaned and collimated.
I had my beat-up pair of successor-generation Swift/Vega 8x30 restored by NRC and they are a sweet, useful optic--and this from a guy who doesn't normally like 8x.

See the 1957 logo for Katsuma on Peter Abrahams's binocular site. Not quite the same--KOC instead of KOCo--but close, very close.

My experience and reading about fungus(or fungi) on optical glass suggests that the growth can be stopped from spreading, but the organism actually etches or eats the glass on the surface and renders the glass under it useless for optics. I have attempted to remove fungus several times from both lens and prisms. Waste of my time.

The U.S. Military during WWII studied ways to keep so-called waterproof binoculars from becoming "infected" with fungi without much success. Evidently, microscopic spoors are the culprit. Interestingly, Borneo, the home of one of our frequently contributors, is a real hot spot for fungi afflicted binoculars. The spoors can grow in air tight containers.
John

FWIW I have removed the spiderweb type without any damage to the glass or coatings.
The other types often destroy coatings and less often glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back