• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldfinch Feeder? (1 Viewer)

MrBJones

I'm thinking ahead a few months to when goldfinches are supposed to be plentiful here in the Dallas area, and have been doing some reading on thistle feeders. Based on your experiences, what are some things to consider when deciding between the different types (sock, clear tube, mesh tube, etc) and specifics feeders? Also, I've seen in a few places that yellow feeders (or at least those with yellow tops) might attract goldfinches...is there anything to that?
Thanks

I always thought the sock feeders I had were destroyed fast, I ruined a couple of the mesh feeders in high winds in AZ, I really liked the mesh ones. Most of the time they should be ok in Plano, well except Tornado season! (Grew up in Dallas). The tubes seemed to work well in my opinion.

I'm using a yellow tube feeder and a black perforated metal one. Both work but the yellow tube is the best. I have used sock feeders but once had a goldfinch catch its nail in one and I had to rescue it. It was only once for me but I have heard of other incidents so I tend not to use socks.

I used to use a feeder made of a mesh type material with a solid base and top and it worked very well. But when rain or snow was an issue I brought it in for fear of the thistle getting damp and molding. I've replace that feeder with a clear plastic tube feeder and added a protective half dome like an inverted umbrella to keep out the elements. So far it works great. I got it an Wild Birds Unlimited. I'm sure you can find it on Amazon.

Last edited:
This one is great. I no longer put out thistle or nyjer seed as these sunflower hearts ensure a constant stream of goldfinches plus all the other usual UK garden species.

Attachments

• D1073476-5350-4D03-A00B-85857B423ECA.jpeg
    D1073476-5350-4D03-A00B-85857B423ECA.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 38
As was already stated, I would steer clear of the sock/mesh type feeders since they can actually injure the birds. I can definitely attest to the yellow feeders attracting the goldfinches, it somehow does the trick! My BF's mother's favorite birds are goldfinches and they decided to take a break from feeding at her house this year, she was heartbroken. We got her a yellow tube feeder and VOILA! They just started coming back, so I do believe it works :)

Sunflower hearts do the trick for me as well. I dont use any special feeder for them, they get on the Squirrel Buster with the rest of them. I've never gotten very many of them though. Usually they come around in the winter thru spring, and then they are gone. I bought one of those socks once, but they didnt touch it, and I ended up throwing it away |=(|

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back