• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon WX 10x50 IF (1 Viewer)

I have viewed the WX 10X50 on many occasions (a friend of mine owns one), both daytime and primarily for astro. I have the EL SV10X50, the Leica UVHD 10X50, and the FL 10X56 , the WX 10X50 is not a versatile glass, weight, and of course cost, but from an optical perspective it crushes the aforementioned glass- just my 2c.

Andy W.

Andy,

Of those you mention that fall short of the WX 10x50, which is the runner-up?

..............The Nikon 10x50 WX for me is a white elephant. Maybe interesting, but not something I need.

This is a really, really good point. Still, there's something intriguing about it.

I was fortunate enough to have a look through the 10x50 WX yesterday, albeit not in ideal viewing conditions being indoor in a large showroom (not that being outside would have helped as it was a typically UK grey/drizzly day!).

The WX I think is one of these very few cases that really meets or exceeds every expectation about just how good they are even despite all the superlatives that have been levelled at them and are, as succintly stated by the OP, quite extraordinary. The clarity, sharpness and overall image quality nevermind the immense apparent field of view was so far superior to any other binocular I have ever looked through it almost beggared belief and made my 8.5x SV and 10x56 SLC HD seem very very mediocre afterwards.

Of those you mention that fall short of the WX 10x50, which is the runner-up?

saidentary,

They are all different,and all are used by me for terrestrial and astro, but to me the Leica UV and HD+ 10X50 are the ones I use the most, both in the day and at night.

Andy W.

The Nikon WX 7x50 seems to be a strange beast. I think that more WX 10x50s would be sold.
I read the review mentioned in post 45.
As I suspected, so far as resolution is concerned, almost any Canon IS, with the IS switched on, will beat the 10x50 Nikon WX hand held.

I have also found that my very old Canon 18x50 IS actually has steadier images than the Canon 10x30 IS Mk 2 hand held, even though the 10x30 Mk 2 has the better stabilizer. This is because of the weight and inertia of the 18x50.

This all fits in with the review and Kimmo's comments.

If a Nikon 10x50 WX turned up at a low price I would consider it. But nowadays it is basically too heavy for me, although it should be fine for a fit strong person hand held.
I still see no point in tripod mounted binoculars, although I can see the suitability for extended bird watches.

From a light polluted site I see even fewer reasons to buy a Nikon WX for astronomy.

It is possible that a 12x50 Nikon WX could have an even larger AFOV than the 10x50 WX.

The Nikon WX 7x50 seems to be a strange beast. I think that more WX 10x50s would be sold.
I read the review mentioned in post 45.
As I suspected, so far as resolution is concerned, almost any Canon IS, with the IS switched on, will beat the 10x50 Nikon WX hand held.

I have also found that my very old Canon 18x50 IS actually has steadier images than the Canon 10x30 IS Mk 2 hand held, even though the 10x30 Mk 2 has the better stabilizer. This is because of the weight and inertia of the 18x50.

This all fits in with the review and Kimmo's comments.

If a Nikon 10x50 WX turned up at a low price I would consider it. But nowadays it is basically too heavy for me, although it should be fine for a fit strong person hand held.
I still see no point in tripod mounted binoculars, although I can see the suitability for extended bird watches.

From a light polluted site I see even fewer reasons to buy a Nikon WX for astronomy.

It is possible that a 12x50 Nikon WX could have an even larger AFOV than the 10x50 WX.

I don't think that it was built to be hand held.

Bob

AllBinos assign their highest title 'Perfect' to the Nikon EDG 10x42, Swarovski EL 8.5x42 and 10x42 and Zeiss SF 10x42 (in alphabetical order). Next below is 'Outstanding'. Only this do they assign to the Nikon WX 10x50.

That's because they pay an (IMHO) unreasonable attention to distortion. Inexplicably, they seem to be unaware of the rolling-ball effect and the intentionally added pincushion distortion to combat this, as some people find that a perfectly distortion-free binocular can induce nausea. I e-mailed them about this several times, telling them the distortion had been inserted intentionally, but to no avail.

It's truly bizarre, considering that at least one main guy who runs that web site is AFAIK an astrophysicist, so that sort of thing ought to be second nature to him. I mentioned that their scoring system's unreasonably heavy weighing of distortion causes major confusion on many Internet forums and depresses their value as a professional review site. No answer to that either.

A mystery.

That's because they pay an (IMHO) unreasonable attention to distortion. Inexplicably, they seem to be unaware of the rolling-ball effect and the intentionally added pincushion distortion to combat this, as some people find that a perfectly distortion-free binocular can induce nausea. I e-mailed them about this several times, telling them the distortion had been inserted intentionally, but to no avail.

It's truly bizarre, considering that at least one main guy who runs that web site is AFAIK an astrophysicist, so that sort of thing ought to be second nature to him. I mentioned that their scoring system's unreasonably heavy weighing of distortion causes major confusion on many Internet forums and depresses their value as a professional review site. No answer to that either.

A mystery.

Jan:

I have a simple answer for your question about the review site. They do
things as they wish. I agree with much of how Allbinos does their reviews
and the order of binocular performance is pretty much in line of what I have
seen, in the models I own, and for general ranking.
You are free to see things as you want, but the rolling ball issue is certainly not
a universal problem or issue with most people.
So this makes it easier to score distortion. Those numbers can be measured.

Your personal preference is well taken.

Jerry

Last edited:

A mystery.

Dear Jan,

I agree that distortion is incorrectly scored here. Apart from the globe effect, the problem with wide-angle distortion-free optics is that angular distances between objects get distorted toward the edge of field (angular magnification distortion, AMD). A star cluster then turns squeezed when it is moved away from the center of field. Since the Nikon WX is supposed to be designed primarily for astro use, AMD should be controlled, as is also done with Nagler eyepieces which display a lot of pincushion distortion. In my opinion, the distortion implemented in the 10x50 WX is beneficial.

Now, Arek & Co are of course free to score as they wish, and that is why I would not pay too much attention to these final scores and rather evaluate things my own way. It would not be easy to change the scoring system on such a web-site: That would affect a hundred of previous tests which would have to be re-evaluated to remain consistent. All in all, I think Arek and his colleagues are doing a great job, perfection is neither possible nor necessary ...

Cheers,
Holger

Well... some weeks ago I finally tracked down the beast - and was able to spend some time getting to grips with (not without some considerable trepidation I have to admit) and looking through the beast.

...and better yet, I had the great good fortune of having something really, really good to compare it with. Comparisons are odious, as the saying goes - but oftentimes comparisons are the best way to highlight the true excellence of what you are enjoying.

To be continued once I have my notes in order... :cat:

Attachments

• 20190203_135556_01.jpg
    20190203_135556_01.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20190203_140746_01.JPG
    20190203_140746_01.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back