• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG (double hinge) 7x42 value? thoughts? (1 Viewer)

justabirdwatcher

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of the double-hinge Nikon EDG in 7x42 and was wondering what the value of those would be these days.

I've always gotten along well with Nikon binoculars, and have been looking for a pair of 8x42's to compliment my 10x42 Zeiss Conquests.

Any thoughts on the 7x42 EDG's would be appreciated. I'm not sure if I'd even like them that much but at the price they are being offered, I'm very tempted to try them.

Thank you.

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of the double-hinge Nikon EDG in 7x42 and was wondering what the value of those would be these days.

I've always gotten along well with Nikon binoculars, and have been looking for a pair of 8x42's to compliment my 10x42 Zeiss Conquests.

Any thoughts on the 7x42 EDG's would be appreciated. I'm not sure if I'd even like them that much but at the price they are being offered, I'm very tempted to try them.

Thank you.

A "new in box" 7x42 EDG II sold for $900 at eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-7x42-EDG/202445401100?hash=item2f22afac0c:g:BsUAAOSw0NVbpesK&LH_All=1

The MKI version would be more rare, but not sure if it will affect the price. Optics is the same I assume.
Personally I think the MKI looks better than the II with the slimmer central bridge.

https://www.optics4birding.com/media/images/ui/nikon-edg-binoculars-lg.jpg

The double hinge was changed because of a rumored patent claim from Swarovski if I recall correctly.

If you are looking for a solid 7x bin I think they might be worth considering for $600-700.
But be sure to check that the diopter setting and focus wheel are working properly.
It might be an issue. More info here:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=274743

Last edited:
There is one single bridge EDG II for sale on the bay for $1295.00 from the Japan market. If the double hinge is working ok with respect to focus and diopter setting, they are worth more than $700.00, besides Leica, the EDG is the best 7X42 out there period, unless you can find a mint, late model Zeiss FL which would demand more in cost.

Andy W.

Thank you.

I have 4 years mostly positive experience with a double-hinged 10x32 EDG.

You should first determine whether or not it is a refurbished binocular. Nikon's refurbished binoculars have a 90 day warranty. (I have owned a refurbished 10x35 EII Porro prism for over 10 years. It can be identified as refurbished by a small slot stamped just underneath the 1st number of the serial number on the front of the hinge.)

I bought my double-hinged 10x32 EDG I new just after Nikon discontinued the EDG I in 2010. It was on sale. It was covered by Nikon's full warranty. I used it for 4 years without incident and found it to be an outstanding 10x32 binocular! I had the opportunity to compare it with a Canon 10x42 IS and found it to be optically just as good as the Canon when the IS was not operating. ie; using braced elbows to steady both of them.

Then in 2014 the coverings on its objective tubes started to "bubble" and work loose. At the same time the corrugated rubber sleeve around its focus wheel began to stretch loose and interfere with the focusing. I contacted Nikon and returned it under warranty for repairs. Nikon opted to replace it with a new 10x32 EDGII which I am still using. This model has no problems and I am still using it.

There were rumors at that time that the diopter of the EDG I, which was integrated with the focus wheel, was prone to wander. The diopter on mine never wandered, and I note that the diopter on my EDG II is exactly the same as the one on my EDG I.

I don't know what you are paying for yours, but I'm confident that you will be getting 1st rate optics. I'm reluctant to set a figure for you but I have often thought about buying a 7x42 EDG. $700.00 for a new double-hinged EDG I would tempt me sorely!

Bob

Made the road trip and followed up on the deal. Bin's are in perfect condition and image quality is pretty stunning.

Having said that, I'm not sure 7x is for me. After comparing them over and over in fading light to my 10x42 Conquest HD's, I think I'm just used to more magnification. Pity too, since the 7x are incredibly bright.

The build quality on these is unlike anything I've seen from Nikon. I mean wow. More refined and smoother than even any Leica or Swaro I've used. I have to agree these must have the very best focus wheel ever designed!

But I have quickly become "married" to my 10x42 Conquest HD's, especially now that Zeiss sent me the extended eyecups for them - which are now the most effective and comfortable eyecups I've ever put to my face.

I guess it's bitter sweet, finding "the one" when your a binoholic... LOL I mean, it's what we are looking for right? But then it kinda robs you of the fun of searching too. Oh to have such "problems" ha, ha, ha.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'd even like them that much but at the price they are being offered, I'm very tempted to try them.

...The sentiment that (to paraphrase Marlowe clumsily) has launched a thousand binocular purchases!

I agree - I have used fine 7x binoculars before and although they have great virtues (steadiness, depth of field, image quality, easy eye placement)... I often find myself wishing they had a little more magnification. 8x is the better all rounder for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back