• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarvoski bins focus wheel (1 Viewer)

POP

While watching two Waxwings yesterday with some friends,we discussed bins,and it was mentioned how many people had experienced a problem with the focus adjustment on their Swarvoski ELs bins,and that some had to send them back to the manufacturer.Has any other birders experienced this problem,when one considers the cost of these optics it slightly worrying to hear of this fault.

John

EL's

jthatch555 said:
While watching two Waxwings yesterday with some friends,we discussed bins,and it was mentioned how many people had experienced a problem with the focus adjustment on their Swarvoski ELs bins,and that some had to send them back to the manufacturer.Has any other birders experienced this problem,when one considers the cost of these optics it slightly worrying to hear of this fault.

John

It may be that the problem referred to is that EL focussing is very low geared i.e. two and a half turns from near to infinity. This makes the task of trying to stay in focus on a close up bird that flies away almost impossible. I have had EL's for two years and other than the low-gearing of the focus, have to say that optically they are excellent. Other top makes take between 3/4 to 1 1/4 turns from from close to infinity. The new 8x32 and 10x32 EL's are much better in this respect and require 1 1/2 turns.

William the bins are superb,but the problem I was highlighting was that there are instances of the focus wheel coming loose.

John

Owning a pair of 8.5ELs I was trying out this "focus problem" today as I had read of it yet not noticed it.

In the end, I really find myself unable to agree that it is a genuine issue. The gearing is such that I was easily and smoothly able to focus quickly on birds that flew from one side to the other of the wide gravel pits where I was watching without any fuss at all. Yes, the gearing is less quick than other binoculars but it works - well for me it certainly does.

The Swarovskis are genuinely outstanding binoculars - don't hesitate to try them out if you are looking for the best.

If there ever is a problem with Swarovski optics I know that there service is reckoned to be second to none and very sppedy indeed.

jthatch555 said:
William the bins are superb,but the problem I was highlighting was that there are instances of the focus wheel coming loose.

John

Yeah, right. If you read your first post again you dont actually mention that.

I have these bins since they first came on the market,and have never had a problem with the focusing wheel.In fact the only problem I have had ,is this week every time I went into the hide they misted over.Never outside,just in the hide.No wonder I cannot spot this American Teal!!
Christine.

Sadly, the outside of all lenses will mist over in certain temperature / humidity conditions whether Swarovski or not.

scampo said:
Sadly, the outside of all lenses will mist over in certain temperature / humidity conditions whether Swarovski or not.

Hi Scampo

did you see my recent thread about my mate whose Swaros have misted inside three times and been replaced too. Granted it has been in 'extreme' circumstances - tropical and high andean Peru - but it shouldn't be happening. It sounds like there is something in this focussing wheel business too if it's hapened to a few people.

jthatch555 said:
William sorry it was not clear.

John

No problem, John. Cheers. I should add that apart from developing superb muscles on my focussing finger due to the low geared focus, I have had no problem with the focus wheel loosening.

Tim Allwood said:
Hi Scampo

did you see my recent thread about my mate whose Swaros have misted inside three times and been replaced too. Granted it has been in 'extreme' circumstances - tropical and high andean Peru - but it shouldn't be happening. It sounds like there is something in this focussing wheel business too if it's hapened to a few people.

I did, Tim - he must have been disappointed to put it mildly. In another post someone was saying how Leica lens coatings are known for peeling off. I expect these things do happen but very rarely indeed. I've just had problems with Opticron scopes and others in stock were faulty, too.

I still think if I were going to Peru (wouldn't that be lovely...), I'd trust Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss or Nikon...

Misting on the outside,not the inside.Otherwise absolutley fine.I think with any product a few rogue ones find their way through.I have heard that there are some very bad Coolpix 4500,but yet I have never had a problem.Must be lucky.
Christine.

Both my 8.5x42 EL and 10x42 EL have backlash in the focuser. When you reverse direction of the focuser wheel, the wheel moves a little before it engages the parts that move the lenses inside the binocular. I find this annoying. In fact I find even more annoying after using my new Zeiss 10x42 FL that has zero backlash in its focuser.

I don't know if Swarovski considers this normal but I don't like it.

Rich

Same with my 8.5x42 EL and with others I've seen at dealers (as Rich Ns post). As you say it is a bit annoying in a product that costs that much. I know other birders who have also moved away from Swaro due to the low gearing of the focus.

ivewalmer said:
Same with my 8.5x42 EL and with others I've seen at dealers (as Rich Ns post). As you say it is a bit annoying in a product that costs that much. I know other birders who have also moved away from Swaro due to the low gearing of the focus.

I quite like the slow gearing of the EL as it allows fine and accurate adjustment.

I now have an FL and find the coarse focus a bit of a change. I have to admit I like the fact that I can very quickly move from far to near and vica versa. It is also very smooth and as far as I can tell backlash free as already mentioned.

Leif said:
I quite like the slow gearing of the EL as it allows fine and accurate adjustment.

I now have an FL and find the coarse focus a bit of a change. I have to admit I like the fact that I can very quickly move from far to near and vica versa. It is also very smooth and as far as I can tell backlash free as already mentioned.

Count me as another who likes the fine focus of the Swaro EL.

Bill

Rich N said:
Hi Bill,

Is your EL free of backlash? When was your EL made?

Thanks,
Rich

Hi Rich,

No discernable backlash. I bought the binocs last spring; they are serial #7406xxxxx, made (I guess) not long before they coarsened (you can see where my bias lies) the focus.

Best,
Bill

Swarovski EL Focus

Leif said:

Hello Leif,
I also checked out my recently purchased 8x32 EL and found the focus to be smooth, backlash free, and just the right speed for me. SN is L734580468.
Len

Thanks guys. My 8.5x42 EL is SN L70502xxxx, the 10x42 EL is L72084xxxx. Maybe I should have waited until the product was more mature.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back